Why I liked GK1 best

HOME Forums Gabriel Knight Series Why I liked GK1 best

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Ever since I first played through the Gabriel Knight trilogy there’s been a nagging feeling that the latter two games had something I profoundly disliked. For a long time I couldn’t really put it into words. Over the years I believe I’ve come to understand what it was.

In Sins of the Fathers, I liked how you were shown all these different facets of “voodoo”; Marie Laveau, the Voodoo Museum, lecture on African tribal religions and so on. Sort of saying that there is not just one truth about it. Whereas in Beast Within, you are pretty much told “This is exactly what werewolves are like.” And in Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned, “This is what vampires are really. This is what Jesus was.” All that stuff is just handed to you. Straight answers to mysteries and legends that have been circulating around for at least centuries if not millennia, with very little room for your own intepretation.

I personally think that a good story asks more questions than it answers. The last two Gabriel Knight games fail in that aspect. I still enjoy them greatly and think that they have excellent characters and storylines. It’s just that they take away too much of the mystery in the end.

• #26769 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: Why I liked GK1 best)

Yeah, I didn’t like how all you learn about Werewolves comes pretty much comes from one book in the castle. Then again, there aren’t exactly people who get their doctorate in studying it or any Werewolf museums around either. Maybe if it had taken place in a city that’s had werewolves, or at least crazys who thought they were like that case in the 1600’s (I think) where a guy confessed to being a werewolf and was burned at the stake. GK3 I HATED though. It wasn’t bad enough we had to learn where the Schattenjagers came from and have the mystery ruined, but it was a horrible plot device. Plus with Grace and Gabriel, can’t a woman and man be partners and stay platonic? Happens in reality all the time! It had lots of great ideas, a great setting, but just got lost along the way somewhere.

• #26770 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: Why I liked GK1 best)

Say, there’s an idea! Instead of reading all about werewolves from a book, Gabriel could visit some guy in an asylum who was convicted of a murder he claims he did because the victim was an alpha werewolf who had bitten him.

Viewing 2 reply threads
Reply To: Why I liked GK1 best
Your information: