What’s your attitude towards fan-projects?

HOME Forums Ken Williams Questions and answers / Thanks Forum What’s your attitude towards fan-projects?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I’m working on a fangame called Vohaul Strikes Back that takes place in the Space Quest universe. I’m just wondering what your attitude towards fanmade projects based on already existing games is, Ken. Do you accept it? Would you ever join one? etc. Look at
      Link: http://www.sq7.org(http://www.sq7.org) 
      . They actually managed to hire Josh Mandel.

• #24884 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: What’s your attitude towards fan-projects?)

Or fan-made games of those old games that’re not based on one of the series?
      I know that Al fully supports the idea.

Oh, andeh… good to see that none of you guys have turned your back on these games.

• #24885 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: What’s your attitude towards fan-projects?) As part of the sale of Sierra I gave up all rights to all games, as did Roberta. Neither of us has the right to do anything with any Sierra product – even Kings Quest (which Roberta wrote).

When I ran Sierra, I loved these kinds of projects. I don’t know the people that are running Sierra now, so I don’t know how they feel about them.

Personally, Roberta and I wouldn’t get involved in one, but mostly because of creative issues. I always think that games should be designed by one person. If Roberta were involved in a project, she would want to have total control. It would have to be something that wasn’t connected to any Sierra game (or, they would sue us). With all that said, if she (or I) were to ever do a game again (which I doubt) it would be through some game company assigning us a development team.

-Ken W

• #24886 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: What’s your attitude towards fan-projects?) There is nothing I would like better than to see all the old Sierra people back making games again. Adventure games are not dead any more. It’s games like Syberia and The Longest Journey that prove that beyond a dought. So come on guys, give it another try. As far as titles and stories go, I wouldn’t care what you had to change. I would play them no matter what.
      I have been playing DreamCatcher games latly and they have very nice graphics but they are all missing the feeling that I got playing the old Sierra games and that it something that they may never have.
      Jim

Home Page & oldies midi player

Viewing 3 reply threads
Reply To: What’s your attitude towards fan-projects?
Your information: