Was KQ5 one of the first CD games?

HOME Forums Ken Williams Questions and answers / Thanks Forum Was KQ5 one of the first CD games?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I’ve been trying to find out what the first PC CD-ROM game released was but I can’t think of any before KQ5. Does anyone here know of any other games that were released previously? Also, Ken was it a big risk releasing a CD-ROM game back in ’91 seeing as almost nobody had access to that technology?

• #24492 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: Was KQ5 one of the first CD games? )

Do you mean the first Sierra game, or the first CD-ROM game in general?

I thought the first CD game was Myst but I could be mistaken. (Actually now that I write that, I’m starting to think it may have been the 7th Guest.)

I’m not positive, but I think the KQ6 CD was the first Sierra CD-ROM game, and the KQ5 multimedia version was released after that. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong though.

-emily

1994 article about Myst
      According to Gamespy, 7th Guest was the first

• #24493 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: Was KQ5 one of the first CD games? )

> I thought the first CD game was Myst but I could be
      > mistaken. (Actually now that I write that, I’m starting
      > to think it may have been the 7th Guest.)

In fact, you’ve got to differentiate between games that were released on CD-ROM (but were also released on floppy disks), games that had an enhanced CD-ROM version (but were also released on floppy disks), and games that were specifically created for the CD-ROM, and were never released on floppy disks.

In 1990 and 1991, some game collections were released on CD-ROM (can’t remember any specific titles right now), but the games were the same as the floppy disk versions. I even have a CD-ROM full of shareware programs (and games!) that was released in 1987 I think. The “x1”, 150 KB/s speed standard didn’t even exist at that time, that is, you could find CD-ROM drives that were *slower* than that!

King’s Quest 5 was definitely one of the very first games to take advantage of the CD-ROM capacity (although it only occupied 1/6 of the total space available), if not the first (maybe Ken can confirm this). Loom CD was also released very early.

As for games specifically written for the CD-ROM medium, 7th Guest is indeed one of the very first (probably with Myst on the Macintosh).

BTW, Ken, if you read this, I remember seeing in a local (French) computer magazine back in 1990 that the CD-ROM version of King’s Quest 5 would ship on 2 CD-ROMs. After buying the commercial release, and seeing that it only took about 100MB on one CD-ROM, I have always assumed that Sierra first considered using the CD-DA (audio) capacity of the CD-ROMs to deliver the voices (as LucasArts did for Loom), before switching to a compressed audio file on the CD-ROM, played by Sound Blasters and the like. Any rememberance of this?

Vincent.

• #24494 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: re: Was KQ5 one of the first CD games? )

> In fact, you’ve got to differentiate between games that were released on CD-ROM (but were also released on floppy disks), games that had an enhanced CD-ROM version (but were also released on floppy disks), and games that were specifically created for the CD-ROM, and were never released on floppy disks.

Good point. In that case, I read yesterday while dredging up those other articles, that KQ7 was the first King’s Quest game (and maybe the first Sierra game?) to be released on CD only.

-emily

• #24495 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: re: re: Was KQ5 one of the first CD games? )

Guys I had my question answered on digitpress.com.

Basically the first CD based game was “The Manhole” released on the Macintosh around 1988.

There was also “Fighting Street” for the Japanese PC Engine (Turbo Grafx 16 anyone?) released the same year and is the prequel to Street Fighter II.

Regardless, I can’t wait for Ken to get back so he can tell us about moving forward into CD-ROM technology and when they first started flirting with the concept.

• #24496 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: re: re: re: Was KQ5 one of the first CD games? ) I believe, but am not positive, that the first “made for CD-ROM” game ever shipped was our own Mixed-Up Mother Goose. I remember paying $25,000 for a CD-ROM burner and going through absolute misery trying to get the game running. At the time, the standard was Windows 3.1, and CD-ROM drivers were anything but standardized.

-Ken Williams

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: Was KQ5 one of the first CD games?
Your information: