Unable to initialize sound hardware in KQ5

HOME Forums Bugs / Tech Help Unable to initialize sound hardware in KQ5

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I have the KQ collector’s edition and I now have KQ1-4 running fine, but KQ5 freezes up right after the opening music plays (when the sierra logo appears). I get a message when the game boots up stating ‘Unable to intitialize audio hardware’ but the music sounds great- and then the whole game just locks up. I am running in DOS still- gave up on windows installation. I am using a Roland sound card which the installation says is compatible with the music portion of the game. During installation I also have the option of choosing a soundblaster card, but this is the only option I have for the audio/sound effects portion. All other options are not supported by my machine, and attempts to use them anyway have resulted in not even the opening music being played. The troubleshooting tips online say to select CMS soundblaster for audio/sound effects, but this isn’t even a selectable option (not even on the list). Ironic thast the early games work, but the more recent games (5 and 6) are presenting such a problem….

• #24221 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

‘Audio’ refers to sound effects and speech, not MIDI music.

Now, what Roland sound card are you using? Would help me out.

– Alistair

Viewing 1 reply thread
Reply To: Unable to initialize sound hardware in KQ5
Your information: