Sierra History Questions for Ken

HOME Forums Ken Williams Questions and answers / Thanks Forum Sierra History Questions for Ken

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Sorry, I posted this earlier in the wrong thread.

Hello Ken,

Currently, I am a student majoring in illustration. As a current project for my Computer Art class, I am researching game art from Sierra games as they are the first form of Computer Art, and eventually led to actual paintings used in games (i.e. Lord of the Dead from KQ6). It’s amazing that every single person in my class remembers these games and are intrigued at my research and artwork I’ve designed. I have found a little information on the net such as a Mark Crowe interview and also a little info in the Sierra Newletters I’ve found on the net. If you had time, I had a few questions and would also appreciate some help as to where else to find information regarding the early Sierra games. The questions I have are:
      (1) Was AGI designed by Sierra and if so who? Was it vector based like SCI?
      (2) Were there any qualifications you had for your artists in the early days? Was computer experience needed?
      (3) I understand the artists worked with hand drawn sketches when creating images for games such as King’s Quest IV. Were these sketches scanned in and traced over with vector lines or just used as simple reference?

I understand you are busy these days, especially with Thanksgiving coming up, but I’d appreciate any help you can lend me. In conjunction with this paper, I have also re-created classic King’s Quest screens. Using Painter 7, I’ve already painted Manannan’s House from KQ3, the Dwarf House from KQ4 and am now in the process of painting the Fisherman’s Shanty from KQ4. Sierra games were a source of inspiration for me and helped me decide to go to art school. As a reward for my good grades, I was always given a Sierra game, so in that respect they helped me get good grades. Growing up, I always wanted to work as an artist for Sierra, but now that is no longer a possibility. I hope to someday create games which capture the innocence and family-feel of the classic Sierra quest series games. Take care Ken!

• #24801 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: Sierra History Questions for Ken) Sorry for the abbreviated response .. as you suspected, I’m heading out of town for Thanksgiving … actually, I’ll be gone for about eight months except for a few days – so, Roberta and I are scrambling today.
      1) Was AGI designed by Sierra and if so who? Was it vector based like SCI?
      AGI was designed between Jeff Stephenson (one of the first Sierra employees) and myself. It’s primary difference with SCI was that it was a normal procedural language, like C. SCI was 100% object oriented, like C++. I used to say at the time, and I’m fairly certain I’m right, that we shipped more object oriented code in the 80’s than any other company on earth.

(2) Were there any qualifications you had for your artists in the early days? Was computer experience needed?
      There was a gradual improvement in the quality of the people we hired; from initially amateur artists, to professionals. By the end we were regularly hiring people from the film industry.

(3) I understand the artists worked with hand drawn sketches when creating images for games such as King’s Quest IV. Were these sketches scanned in and traced over with vector lines or just used as simple reference?

I think different artists did it differently – but, my recollection is that some artists started with a pencil sketch, scanned it, and then painted on top onscreen (for animation). For the backgrounds, these were almost always painted, and then scanned as final paintings.
      -Ken W

• #24802 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(Contacting Roberta)

Hi Ken!
      Could you tell me, how to contact your wife (via email)?
      I’d like to make an email-interview with her for GK4ever.

Thank you!

Gabriel Knight 4ever

Viewing 2 reply threads
Reply To: Sierra History Questions for Ken
Your information: