Should we accept that Vivendi IS Sierra On-Line?

HOME Forums Open Discussion Should we accept that Vivendi IS Sierra On-Line?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

It’s been a long time now since Vivendi got their paws on Sierra On-Line, so is it time that we, the fans, accept that the good old company is dead?
      I say NO!

I understand that everyone that created these games have been forced to surrender but we, the fans, do not need to bow to their demands!

LSL MCL was at best a fraud, the follow up to LSL 7 was always meant to be LSL 8, with the action taking place in outer space….
      And then this cheap-copy-cat version of good old Larry shows up!

Well I refuse to accept that the best games of all time will never be reborn!
      It was, and still is, Sierra that will bring back Adventure games, and when Vivendi finally sells out whats left of Sierra (basicly the name!) Someone will buy it, and let’s just pray to the mighty Roger Wilco in the skies that they can persuade the good people of (the original) Sierra On-Line to return.

So don’t give up yet folks! It was capitalism that opend the door for others to take over (Not that there is anything wrong with HOW it was done, it’s rather WHY that conserns me!) and with MCL as a template of future games…. it won’t be long until the same door opens again……

Let’s just hope someone can afford to put on a padlock, so that no more sleasy people can destroy such a wonderfull corporation simply because they wan’t to feel like they are someone…
      The fact that Al Lowe didn’t have any part in MCL is the proof that they don’t take the genre seriously (not that MCL is an adventure game) and that they will fail!
      there’s probably many wonderfull people working for Sierra today but they don’t have the spirit of Sierra On-Line, they can’t feel the call of the quests!
      The Quest for glory, the glory of creating the best games in the world, for that is what Ken and Roberta’s Sierra did!

• #28353 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

I have been a long-time fan of, both the Leisure Suit Larry series and Al Lowe. At a (too) young age, I created my first web-site. It was called ‘Tom’s World O’ Larry;’ I believe it was in 1994. I had no idea what I was doing. In 1997, I was offered hosting space with AdventureGamer.com (before they were baught out). Still being an amature gamer, and designer, I then created ‘The Leisure Suit Larry Channel.’ The name doesn’t really make sense. I had created the name around ‘interactive channel’ websites that were released around IE4 launch, but my skills lacked.

Reason why I am saying this? I have noticed that there is a lack of fan sites for this anymore. Yesterday, I started creating a new site. I want to give back to the community, like I did many years ago. Depending on how much help I get for this, expect it to be launched in several weeks.

• #28354 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Tom, I say go man! Sadly I have no website making skills to offer you, but nonetheless I encourage you to keep your fire burning, every little bit of effort such as yours helps keep the dream alive.

The ‘dream’ is that one day Sierra, in some incarnation, will return.

If I ever win the lottery, Sierra will be back. I’ll hire Scott Murphy and all those great creators back, will buy the Oakhurst building back.

I don’t even care if the games made a profit. I’d be doing this for my own personal kicks so HAAZAAA!!!  🙂

• #28355 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Vivendia will never be Sierra and games made with the Sierra brand will never be on the same level.  Many of the old great companies are dead and gone.  Sierra, SSI, Microprose, now Interplay, and so many others.  The companies of the 80s and 90s created a whole new industry. 
      It must be weird being thought of as pioneers, but that’s what they were.  I still love the old games I grew up playing and I still play them and I collect them and learn emulators in hopes of preserving them.  Games today really aren’t the same.  Yeah, some good games will come out but very few that you’ll want to play over and over and that will have the same emotional impact.  I think the last game I played that I thought was absolutely amazing was Zelda – Ocarina of Time.  I wish I could break into the game industry.  I’m confident that I could design a great game, and I get frustrated seeing games get created that I’ve had in my head for the last 15 years.  I’ve all but given up on that dream though.  That kind of died when Sierra died.

• #28356 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

There must be so many Sierra fans who had the dream of working at Sierra, or maybe even another company, who had the dream of designing their own adventure games, or being an artist, or a programmer, or whatever. All those companies are gone… but adventures still are not. There’s still companies out there releasing games that, while they’re not totally adventures, are very adventure-ful. And there are new companies starting as well. Such as Himalaya. Never mind communities like the AGS community, which produces some wonderful amateur adventures. So I think there is still hope for the future of adventure games, and people who loved them and want to be a part of making them – well, if that’s still a real dream for you, you should follow it!

• #28357 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Vivendi is as much Sierra Onlineas the Current incarnation of Paramount/Viacom is Gene Roddenberry!!

• #28358 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

yeah. i’m about to finish my degree in computer science and i have always said that sierra, larry and al lowe in particular, influenced me the most in that decision. i only wish i was older so i would have had the chance to work at sierra. at least we were able to be a part of that time.

• #28359 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

So why don’t all these people who wanted to work for Sierra back before
      they could, get together now and form some kind of website or forum to
      post messages and get together and form a game company?

Oh wait…… 😉

-Tom.

• #28360 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

because they were all cut off or fired, Sierra under Ken and R. went out of business around 1997 or 98.

• #28361 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

it’s not too late buddy. There are plenty out there with your skills that can conjure up some razzle dazzle root beer.

• #28362 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

So i guess you are the one who told me to watch my language? If it were not for sierra, i would not have even known how to type those foul words that you find so repulsive. Should I accept Vivendi, no!!! You want to create a great adventure game, contact me. I have many ideas. The first step is to get a mouse released for XBOX, PS2, and GAMECUBE. The next step is to get a keyboard released for the same. If you want some good ‘SIERRA INSPIRED ADVENTURE’ times, we should work together. There is no good adventure, the only good is where you think for yourself.  I have them all, and they bore me. Hell, they were released over ten years ago!!! Over twenty with KQ1 and Black Cauldron! All of the serious fans would put up decent money on a decent petition! I don’t want another KQ8. That was horrible. It was like a half-assed atempt on playstation. That game sucked. I was hoping for something good, and all i got was a crappy rendition of tomb raider, crappily, i might add.No story, no good characters, and crappy 3D graphics. I want to start a whole new genre where you actually have to use the keyboard. YES!, type that is! Is it so far fetched really?
      That’s what they were back in the 80’s. And they were harder than hell. We should combine today’s graphics with the processors that can support them. Just like the early days, Ken and Roberta. I wrote a letter to both of you when I was 12. I’m sorry for swearing on your little site, but I am mad. I have spent alot of money in my lifetime on Sierra Games. I am not an obsessed fan. I finally got my Pentium 1 to support all of the AGI and SCI games to work in perfect order, in XP, with full Soundblaster and Adlib support!!!! I call it my Sierra computer.
      Adventure games died, when sierra went south. The last great game was Quest for Glory 5, Dragonfire, and i hope you were there when it did.Even if not, we are still here. Like the fans of a broken up metal band. we wait for the return. I know it’s not gonna happen, even if Mannannan wishes it, but I have to try. I must try. The skull is in the cogs. The hair is in the cookie. The rose was pushed under the door. The witch was in the pot.  We all want a superb adventure game, be it PC. Many thanks, Roberta, for your games, please, one last game…………….. 

• #28363 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Because everyone wanted to work for Ken, but Ken wasn’t interested in leading the project.  The result = No project.

• #28364 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Ken Williams……Al Lowe…… J.R.R. Tolkien……Douglas Adams…..Dan Simmons…..Gene Roddenberry……
      Nice and short list that the new pope needs to consider when the next Saint positions are up for grabs!
      All of these did more then three miracles 😉

• #28365 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Yeah, but people have to die in order to get a shot at bieng declared as saint.

Viewing 13 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #28363 in Should we accept that Vivendi IS Sierra On-Line?
Your information:

Cancel