ScummVM

HOME Forums Open Discussion ScummVM

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Good news over on the ScummVM website ( http://www.scummvm.org  ). It seems they’ve started incorporating Sierra games, starting with the Goblins series. Now, I could be wrong, but I’m thinking that the Goblins games make use of Coktel Vision’s own proprietary engine, while Woodruff used the then newest version of Sierra’s SCI. They do mention Woodruff by name, so I imagine if they could get that working in ScummVM, then surely all of the other SCI games won’t be far behind.

Anyway, I believe this is great news. If it works, it certainly means an end to hassle when trying to get the classics to run on 2000, XP and whatever’s coming.

• #28294 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Good news over on the ScummVM website ( http://www.scummvm.org  ). It seems they’ve started incorporating Sierra games, starting with the Goblins series. Now, I could be wrong, but I’m thinking that the Goblins games made use of Coktel Vision’s own proprietary engine, while Woodruff used the then newest version of Sierra’s SCI. They do mention Woodruff by name, so I imagine if they could get that working in ScummVM, then surely all of the other SCI games won’t be far behind.

Anyway, I believe this is great news. If it works, it certainly means an end to hassle when trying to get the classics to run on 2000, XP and whatever’s coming.

• #28295 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Interesting but I still use dosbox. It can play all of my oldies sierra games up to, and including, games like Larry 7 and space quest 6. 🙂

• #28296 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I still find DOSBox too fiddly and much too slow to play anything other than adventure games (though of course it is adventure games we’re discussing here). ScummVM is fast, highly compatible, and includes all manner of nice features that DOSBox doesn’t. I just hope they change the name at some point – “Scumm” (Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion) Virtual Machine doesn’t really reflect the multi-engine nature it is in the process of assuming.

• #28297 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

My computer is fast enough for dosbox, so I tend not to notice. It’s not that the program is slow, but it requires some juice to run later games (when I say Larry 7 I mean that it runs flawlessly speed and sound)

As for fiddly….? If you ever tinkered with the real dos then its not much different. Its also much easier than attempting to install windows 98 on a new pc and messing with sound card drivers and the like.

This program makes things MUCH easier:

http://members.home.nl/mabus/ 

I have all my games in a list and it requires no tweaking to add more games. One day I’m going to burn all these to a DVD so that I never have to setup my dos classics again! 🙂

• #28298 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I don’t have any trouble with setting up and running DOSBox (I’ve been using PC’s since the late 80’s), but quite frequently settings have to be changed on the fly or just before running a specific game to make it work right, and most people just don’t want that hassle.

And yeah, DOSBox’s system requirements are just ridiculous. Why is it you require a 1GHz PC to run a game that came out ten (or more) years ago? And forget about running anything that has a semblance of polygonal graphics in it.

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: ScummVM
Your information: