Problems with sound “echoing” in Sierra adventures

HOME Forums Bugs / Tech Help Problems with sound “echoing” in Sierra adventures

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I’ve been running my old sierra games, and a couple (that I know of) have been having a problem with sound effects “echoing” and not terminating as they should. I have been running them with VDMSound so I described the problem on their forums but have yet to have a response. As I described in the post on the VDMSound forums I have experienced the problem in Conquest of the Longbow and Quest for Glory. I have looked for it in several other games ie. Space Quest 4, 5; and Quest for Glory 3, 4 (sound sync problems there but nothing serious). Shortly after posting on VDMSound’s forums I discovered that one of the games in question has sound (no music just sound FX) without running it with VDMSound, however I noticed the problem still existed. In light of this new information I thought that it was probably not VDMSound, but something else causing these problems. My post from the VDMSound forums:
      I’m running VDMSound with all my SCI sierra adventure games. I’m using the lauchpad and all shortcuts are set on midi. In most of the games certain sound effect will not terminate as they should. For example in the opening of Conquests of the Longbow the archer fires an arrow and it hits the sound of the arrow hitting repeats until I choose an option on the menu. It happens again when practicing with the bow, ie. The sound of the arrow hitting repeats and also at the widow’s house the sound the lamb makes repeats until I leave. I have also experienced it in the Quest for Glory I remake, when choosing a character type the sound each type makes repeats until the next type makes its sound. It also happens in the magic shop when the mage appears, the sound she makes repeats until I leave. I have a Pentium II 350 with 192 MB ram, running Windows XP, with a Sound Blaster PCI 64/128 (on board), and a 64MB Geforce 4 440MX PCI. I have tried changing the shortcut to use Roland instead of MIDI but it did nothing. Any suggestions would be appreciated; it’s a livable problem but an annoying one none this less. And one more thing, please forgive me if this is a common problem and I am the millionth one to ask about it, but I did search the forum, before posting, and found no evidence of a similar problem.

Since that post I have encounteredthe problem countless more times in various spots in the QFG1 remake. Once again any suggestions would be appriciated, Thank you.

• #23865 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(A Long shot..) This is a complete long shot, and I really don’t have a suggestion on how to implement a solution for it… but… I have not used any of these new Sound utilites to try to get Sierra games to work on new computers (I just use my old 486) but the repeating sound problem that you have seems like what used to be back in the days before plug and play an IRQ setting problem… conflicting with another device using the same channel. All this is computer managed now as far as I know on newer systems, so I don’t know if you can get in and overide settings anymore, to try different ones. I do remember stuttering and repeating problems as recent as KQVII on a Win95 system if my memory recalls correctly, and was solved by proper IRQ and DMA settings.
      Anyhow, this may or may not be the problem , or even make sense, but that’s my take on it from my end of the screen. I hope you are able to figure it out!
      Good luck.
      -Brad

• #23866 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: A Long shot..)

Thanks for the idea, I’ve also gotten a few from the VDMSound forums(one failed and the other was to use DosBox, which I haven’t tried). I’m not sure I want to mess with that stuff right now but I’ll have a new system to check it on next week(I guess I could dig out the old 486, wonder if it even still works- hasn’t been used in about 6 years). I’ll see if the problem is still there on that system and post back. I’ll keep checking the forum regularly and once again thanks for the suggestion.

• #23867 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: A Long shot..) I too had this problem on XP with VDMSound. I found this solution from VOGONS. Go to the advanced settings of your VDMS short cut and Set Sound Blaster to IRQ: 5
      But in the DOS Environment type in the following on the AUTOEXEC.BAT field: SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 T6
      This worked for Longbow.

• #23868 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: re: A Long shot..)

That fixed the problem of the repeating sounds but it created another. Now in QG1 with these changes when I try to get into the healther’s house I get a waiting sign and it just sits there. I think it’s because usually he knocks twice and with the changes he only knocked once I tryed only using the autoexec.bat and the soundblaster changes by themselves and I could get in the Healther’s but the sounds still repeated. I keep fooling with settings and see if I can fix it. Any suggestions would be appriciated. Thank you for your help thus far.

• #23869 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: re: re: A Long shot..)

The problem is in the saved games I was loading from. When I started a new character I encoutered no such problem. Thank you all for the help you have given.

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: Problems with sound “echoing” in Sierra adventures
Your information: