April 22, 2004 at 2:30 am #23563
Ok, I installed my old game (the disk version, red box) on a PII-350 with 96MB of RAM and an NVidia GeForce 4 graphic card. I also have an old ISA Soundblaster AWE 32 soundcard. That’s with MS-DOS 6.2 as the OS. It installed great, and seemed to play right. I even got digitized sound effects with the sb16drv patch.
Problem is, that when I enter the castle right at the beginning, after having shown my ring to the dog guards, the game locks up during the animation. After the discussion is over, Saladin DOESN’T put his sword back in its sheat, therefore the game makes a fatal lock-up and just stays there, forever.
Is there anything I can do?
I have tried to setup the ‘install’ to both use and NOT use extended memory – but to no avail.
Is there a solution, a patch, a fix, a way around this?
Any help would be really appreciated.
April 22, 2004 at 12:26 pm #23564
(re: King’s Quest VI Locks Up.)
Don’t know if this will work or not, but try turning your speed all the way up and detail all the way down. I have done this to get through similar lock-ups in the PQ1 remake and GK2.
I don’t know if there’s a patch, but you could check http://ftp.sierra.com — they have all their patches there, even the old ones. If you go to ftp://ftp.sierra.com/pub/pc/patches/ there is one called kq6cdhi.exe — you might want to poke around on the internet first (try putting the file name in google) to see if you can find out what the patch is supposed to do.
April 23, 2004 at 1:54 am #23565
(re: re: King’s Quest VI Locks Up.)
I believe that patch is just for the Windows version. Have you tried to just click through this cutscene? If you have the CD version, check your CD for any scratches or abrasions and be sure that it has no smudges. Also, if you have the CD version, try running the Windows version. It has higher resolution graphics than the DOS version.
January 29, 2005 at 5:33 pm #23566
Hi there…instead of starting a whole new thread, I thought I’d just add my problem to this one. The game keeps locking up for me in the swamp, when stick-in-the-mud and rotten tomato are slinging the swamp ooze around. I’m currently using the original cd version of the game, although I also have both the King’s Quest Collection version and the Roberta William’s Anthology version–I honestly can’t remember if either of these had the same problem, since it’s been a while since I played them (though I certainly do remember encountering the same lock-up in the past…just can’t remember if I was using the cd, or one of the collections then). I’m running the game on an old laptop with Win95–I bought it a few years ago specifically for playing older games on, and it works perfectly for 99% of them–the exceptions being KQ6, LB2 (that chase scene thing, which seems to be unavoidable), and QFG4 (the infamous Error 52). So, if anyone could offer any suggestions about what to do, it would be much appreciated!
January 29, 2005 at 11:13 pm #23567
I have never encountered this problem with KQ6, so I haven’t been able to explore the possible causes or cures. You might see this for possible help with the stick-in-the-mud lock-up. The good news is that there are now new patches for many of the speed bugs found in Sierra games. Patches for LB2 and QfG4 (yes even the the infamous Error 52 bug) and many other Sierra games can be found here:
January 30, 2005 at 12:45 am #23568
Yeah, I remember this same bug when playing KQ6 for the first time many years ago on an old computer. You should contact the guy who runs that page Collector linked to, and ask if he will solve this one in the future. Just last week he made an update to his page so he is still putting out the goods, which is very cool.
January 30, 2005 at 2:29 am #23569
Thanks guys! I couldn’t figure out how to get past the bug on the original cd version, but I did load up the R.W. Anthology version and it played through just fine…so maybe it’s something to do with the disc, and not my computer…who knows! At least I got to see the good ending again…it’s been years!
I’m definitely going to check out that site for other bug fixes, though…I never did manage to get past error 52 without using the save files that came with the qfg collection, so it’d be nice to see if I could do that.
May 25, 2005 at 6:48 pm #23570
if anyone’s still having the swamp lock-up problem, you could try to start the game using DOSBox, then put set the game to Text, lower the volume and detail to 0 (keep the game in windowed mode, not fullscreen) and get through that scene, then save and play the game as you usually would from that restore point.
It worked like a charm for me :), if it doesn’t work, try messing with the CPU cycle settings (ctrl-F11 decreases and ctrl-F12 increases) or the Frameskip settings (ctrl-F8 increases and ctrl-F7 decreases) 🙂