Internal PC Speaker sound

HOME Forums Bugs / Tech Help Internal PC Speaker sound

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I’ve recently installed an old Space Quest Collection CD and been trying to play some of the games. Some of them don’t even run in Windows intself (I’m using W98 SE), but I’ve been able to get all of them to run well in DOS mode.
      I also dowloaded the run time patches for the games that needed them, and those games run just as I remember when I first played them years ago on older systems.
      So, the only games that do not perform optimally are Space Quest 1 [EGA] and 2, because I can’t get my computer to convert the original Internal speaker sounds to MIDI format.
      There are no error messages or anything, the games are just silent. Space Quest 3 works fine, however.
      I heard there might be patches for this somewhere on the internet, but I can’t seem to find them anywhere.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.
      thanks

• #23465 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: Internal PC Speaker sound)

Use DosBox. I remember looking for this awhile back, I even asked such people as Ken Silverman (maker of duke3d’s engine..he actually replied 3 times 😀 ) It forces all Internal speaker sounds to come out of your sound card. It works with all 3 channels too.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/ 

If you need help running it just ask.

• #23466 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: Internal PC Speaker sound) Thanks

I’ll try it and post here whether it works or not.

• #23467 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

There is an emulator to try called Nagi, which will play all the old AGI style Sierra adventures perfectly. It even plays the games with the three channel tandy sound and some of the digital effects that were in them. This makes them sound far better than the PC speaker. DOSBox will run games but only with 1 channel PC speaker sound and it will struggle on an old Win 98 machine (if it is an old machine).

• #23468 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: Internal PC Speaker sound) Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to get it to work well in DOSbox, but it took a little tweaking of the CPU cycles and frameskip rate. It is an old machine (Compaq Presario from ’98) and at first I wouldn’t be able to get DOSbox to run it smoothly, but some tweaking helped and I pretty much have what I wanted now, though I doubt DOSbox could run anything more demanding than an old EGA game with my hardware limitations.
      Perhaps I’ll try downloading and running it through Nagi to get the 3 channel speaker option a little later.

Thanks for all your help.

Now to play Space Quest! Well, for about only 10 minutes before I have to get to work 🙂

• #23469 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

hey Kevin 🙂 I was wondering.. what kind of tweaking did you do? I’m assuming you changed some things with the config file..

• #23470 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Actually, dosbox *has* pcjr 3 voice support. Check the config. I have it working on mine. I can hear all the channels and it runs perfectly with older sierra games on my XP machine.

Viewing 6 reply threads
Reply To: Internal PC Speaker sound
Your information: