I have to say Sierra sucks now

HOME Forums Ken Williams Questions and answers / Thanks Forum I have to say Sierra sucks now

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I have to say Sierra sucks now. I have not seen a game they’ve created that I wanted to play since Kings Quest: Mask of Eternity. And that was what 5+ years ago? It’s nothing without Ken and Roberta Williams, Al Lowe and all of our other favorite game designers. I’m glad you’ve set up this site for us to talk about Sierra and their good days on. Thanks a bunch! Oh and say hi to Roberta for me hehe.

• #25071 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I have to say Sierra sucks now) As much as I agree with you, it should be noted that this doesn’t mean the people working for Sierra today should be blamed. I’m sure they are devoted and talented people, and it cannot be very fun for them to hear that people think they are working for a company that sucks.
      I don’t mean that you or anyone else has suggested this, but we should take care to blame the downfall of Sierra’s old philosophy as an unfortunate effect of several things, not that it was deliberate or anything.

• #25072 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I have to say Sierra sucks now) A lot of people will disagree with that, but most of them will be action gamers.
      Just because Sierra doesn’t make games you like anymore, doesn’t mean they suck. They have very successful action games, such as Half-Life, Alien vs. Predetor, and the awsome No one lives forever. The people who like that kind of games probably enjoy them just as much as you would a good adventure.
      Bare in mind that a commercial company has but one and only goal – to make money. Sentiments don’t enter into it. Adventure games are not profitable nowdays, and that’s why the genre is dead.

• #25073 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I have to say Sierra sucks now)

> Adventure games are not profitable nowdays, and that’s why the genre is dead.

ackkk! i hate it when people say this!!!

the genre is not dead. adventure games can be profitable. just look at the showing at E3 last month.

-emily

• #25074 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I have to say Sierra sucks now) Very true, Emily. I too hate it when someone says the genre is dead, because it really isn’t! True, Sierra may not be making them anymore, but there are other companies too…

• #25075 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I have to say Sierra sucks now) As much as you may hate to hear it, true adventures are rarely made nowdays. Most adventure games made today incorporate some degree of action, FPS or such to make them sell better.
      Even sequals of good adventure games can’t escape that fate – examples for that are MOE and probably also The Longest Journey 2 and Jane Jensen’s upcoming game.

• #25076 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

The adventure game genre isn’t the only one to have that problem. My other favorite genre also has died over the years. That of puzzle games. Now I’m not talking tetris or puyopop, I mean things like the Adventures of Lolo where you have to actually solve boards so as to move on with the game. The only recent game to strattle the border of a true puzzler was the new Legend of Zelda game, and even then it wasn’t a very hard puzzler.

• #25077 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I have to say Sierra sucks now) Daneel – Yes, those games are titles as “Action/Adventure”, but that is only used to improve marketing sales. I’ve read interviews with designers of many upcoming Action/Adventures (Including Jane Jensen and Ragnar Tornquist, of TLJ) and they all said the same, the “Action” doesn’t indicate pure action. Think of it as short action sequences that are in all the GK games.
      An example of an action sequence in the upcoming Broken Sword 3; some criminal points a gun at you, and you quickly need to open the refridgerator beside him, and let the door smash in his face. Now tell me, does that sound like heavy action, or a puzzle from an adventure game?
      It’s too bad AdventureGamers is offline at the moment. They have some good related articles…

• #25078 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

here’s a statement from Jane Jensen about her new game:

“I love mysteries, I love adventure games obviously but you can’t have a game where all you do is walk around and talk to people.  There has to be a variety of puzzles and that’s all that line was trying to convey that there is going to be a variety of puzzles.  It is not an action/adventure game, there are no guns, there are no jumping and running puzzles.  There will be possibly some mild arcades of a kind that there have always been in Sierra games just to mix the gameplay up a little bit.  I’ve always done logic puzzles, for example, the drum code from Gabriel 1, so I think the fears can be laid to rest, this is not a first-person Myst-style game this is a full 3D Sierra-style, third-person adventure game.”

I don’t think she can be any clearer than that! (link to the full interview at the bottom of this post)

I’ve heard report after report after report about Broken Sword 3 and how the so-called action elements have been blown out of proportion… so i’ll hold off on making judgements until I’ve seen for myself. And I was a little concerned about the mention of action elements in TLJ2, but really, how can we condemn it until we’ve seen it? Not to mention that there have been some great true adventures released in the past few years…

Syberia wasn’t my favorite game of all time, but it was unarguably a straightforward, point-and-click adventure… not one single action element.

Shadow of Destiny / Shadow of Memories, which was ported to PC this year, is a surprising example of a true adventure from a company that usually focuses on action. No shooting, no jumping, and the only running was to get from here to there — not to mention, it has one of the most imaginative stories I’ve ever seen in a game.

Law & Order came out last year (or early this year?) No action, pure adventure. And it sold so well they’re making a sequel! I haven’t played CSI (which came out last month), but I hear it’s similar.

There are others I haven’t played — Postmortem and Runaway come to mind — and several upcoming games that were announced at E3 last month.

I can understand being under the impression that the genre is dead IF you’re looking for Sierra to make another adventure game. That’s never going to happen. But there are a ton of great games out there — some just as good, some even better. I can’t understand someone who likes adventures wallowing in the “genre is dead” mentality, when there are so many great games you could be playing instead…

-emily

Just Adventure – Jane Jensen interview

• #25079 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I have to say Sierra sucks now) Martijn –
      I’m aware of the difference between real action and timed puzzles, and of the difference between action/adventure and pure adventure.
      Timed puzzles, like as the ones on GK, are not considered “action”, which is why GK is classified as “adventure”.
      I haven’t played any recently-made adventure games so I can’t speak of their quality, but 6-7 games a year don’t exactly make the genre alive. Compared to it’s glory days, I’d still have to say it’s pretty much dead.

• #25080 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I have to say Sierra sucks now) 6-7 games may not compare to what was available in the ‘Golden Age’ of adventure gaming, but it’s far from being as dead as in was two years ago. 🙂

• #25081 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I have to say Sierra sucks now) I can’t speak of the situation 2 years ago since I don’t know much about it. I do hope that recent revival you speak of will continue.

• #25082 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I have to say Sierra sucks now) Same here. 🙂 And hey, should the genre start selling again, Sierra might consider doing a new Adventure too… But we shouldn’t get our hopes up, ofcourse.

• #25083 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I have to say Sierra sucks now) First off, I don’t know if 6-7 games a year is accurate. Those are all the games I could think of off the top of my head — there have probably been twice that many adventures released this year alone. And I don’t think it’s true, either, that many more adventures were being released each year in the 80s and 90s.
      Second, I don’t get how someone who hasn’t played an adventure game in years (since the “glory days,” it seems) can make any kind of a statement about the genre being “dead.” Adventures are being made, and some are selling quite well. It’s a different industry now than it was in the 80s and 90s, sure, and many other types of games have sprung up around the adventures. But adventures are still around, not to mention that some incredible advances have been made in the genre.
      It’s not really worth arguing about, because people who do keep up with the adventures that are released today would be hard pressed to claim that the genre is “dead.” What I don’t understand is why people keep moaning and groaning that Sierra doesn’t make games anymore or that the “good old days” are gone, when they could be enjoying the many, many other quality adventures that have been released in the past 5 or so years since Sierra’s last adventure shipped. You’re really missing out.
      But I’ll take my own advice, and stop arguing about this now… 🙂
      -emily

• #25084 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Even if Sierra does go back to making adventure games, I don’t see why they should be different from games other companies make. They might have the rights to the old series, but I doubt the people who made them still work there.

• #25085 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I have to say Sierra sucks now) Well, I’d just like to see something new from Sierra, if only for nostalgic reasons.

• #25086 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I have to say Sierra sucks now) <sigh>
      I should start by saying that I played my first computer game, the original King’s Quest from 1984, on the very first consumer release IBM-PC AT type computer at the age of 7, and, sorry Ken, but KQ1 was a copy we got from a friend we knew at the time; don’t worry though, I plunked many a dollar down on your fine games after that… 😉
      I do miss those games–they’re a part of my childhood–and I hate that Sierra Entertainment shows us such distain as letting them all go out of print.
      A comment like “Sierra sucks now,” is a philisophical debate, as a number of people have pointed out; it really should be interpreted to mean something along the lines of “I wish that the new owners of Sierra (Vivendi Universal) would revive the games that were popular before.”
      Isn’t that what we’re all here talking about, anyway? This place that Ken has so kindly put up is an homage to our collective pasts–all the time we spent on those classic games we recall so fondly.
      We miss King’s Quest, Space Quest, Larry, and the rest, because the new blood at Sierra Entertainment won’t agree to make new games, or re-release old games, now. Saying that “Sierra sucks now” is lashing out at the people that make those decisions as to what gets published, and what gets dumped.
      What we really should say is that Sierra’s decision to let all that history go to waste is what really sucks. *That* is the real disrespect.
      It should be obvious to any corp suit with half a brain and a degree from a mail-order catalogue that there is still a demand for those classical adventure games in the Quest series style based on all the fan sites and projects that exist, but at the moment there is too much demand for FPS type games. There is so much demand that NOLF, Doom-clones, AvP, Unreal, and the rest are still kings.
      Amazingly, to me, some of those FPS’s are even fun.
      Even having said all that, though, there is an old saying I picked up somewhere: “everything old is new again.” What that means is that, eventually, hopefully, the market will swing about and start to notice this particular genre of gaming and pick it up once more. A number of people have pointed out that there are other companies that are possibly picking up Sierra On-Line’s dropped gauntlet and putting out new work (sorry for not getting proper names here; it’s 2am at the time I’m typing), though it’s not the titles we want.
      How can we make it “new again?” Support the fan projects. Help them, if you can. Quite probably, the only way we can convince Sierra, and anyone else, that they should revive the franchises is that there is such a demand that they’d make money on a new title.
      Who knows, Sierra might find that the adventure genre is “new again.”

• #25087 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(Bethesda and Elder Scrolls)

I may be off here, but what do you all think of Bethesda Softworks and their Elder Scrolls series, with the most recent TES III: Morrowind winning Game of the Year in 2002. Not only was it the most satisfying adventure/rpg game I’ve played since TrueSierra, but it was also the first one I really enjoyed playing on a console (XBOX) … the music was super, the graphics were excellent, the gameplay was LOOOONG with dozens of ‘quests’ … enough action elements to keep you happy, but it was mostly tasks and quests.. the drawback here is that there were few puzzles.. but…

It would seem that Bethesda could be the next Sierra? Their next game was Pirates of the Caribbean, which was REALLY Sea Dogs II (another open ended game like Morrowind), and now they have a horror game coming, Call of Cthulu. And of course, the future Elder Scrolls IV.

Basically what I’m getting at is – how do you think Bethesda and its Elder Scrolls, etc, compare to our beloved Sierra, and could its HUGE success somehow convince EvilNewSierra to come out with, say, a Kings Quest game similar to Morrowind?

Proof is in the awards, sales, and fervent passion of the Morrowind fans – that format SELLS. and it ENDURES. Morrowind’s new Game Of The Year Edition (w/ 2 expansion packs) is a HOT item right now..

Kings Quest IX?

• #25088 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I believe G.E. just bought Vivendi.  Then I heard that VUGames was not part of the deal.  This part kind of confused me.  Maybe somebody else can clarify that.

I just saw a post in a different secton that basically summed up the history of Sierra. http://www.sierragamers.com/bbs.asp?msgId=20025&nbsp;

Click here to go to the website

• #25089 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: I have to say Sierra sucks now)

I haven’t played Morrowind – but I know it’s not an adventure. To me, a King’s Quest game that’s not an adventure isn’t truly a King’s Quest game. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sierra / Vivendi someday “resurrected” the franchise by slapping the king’s quest name on a different type of game — they’ve done it before. (We’ll see how well it works with the new Leisure Suit Larry game…) But if it’s not an adventure, having the King’s Quest game isn’t necessarily going to make me like it.

It’s true that the GE / Vivendi deal did not include VUGames. As far as I know, that division is still under Vivendi’s control.

-emily

• #25090 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

From what I saw on that preview movie on the new Larry game it seems to me that they’re using the same engine they used for the Simpsons Hit and Run… do you guys think that it could also have the same play style?

Cheers,

Nick.

• #25091 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: I have to say Sierra sucks now)

From what the developers say, The new larry will be much like GTA and Hit and Run in the fact that you have complete control. You can explore, touch things, break things and talk to people. You won’t be able to drive cars and kill people……its not like that. They just want to style of play where you can be Larry and have freedom to move. I don’t think it will share the type of game (ie: action) as the other two.

Viewing 21 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #25081 in I have to say Sierra sucks now
Your information:

Cancel