I changed how messages get posted

HOME Forums SierraGamers Website I changed how messages get posted

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

As you can see, I changed how messages get posted. I don’t know if I like it better yet or not.
      I also don’t know if I introduced some bugs (that’s your job! Let me know what you find!)
      My goal was to clarify the confusion I introduced when I added the “comment on this message” option.
      While I’m on the topic: Some of the topics are getting long, in particular the topic “General Conversation about Sierra’. I’m thinking to split this into subtopics. Does anyone have a clever idea for me? I can’t just let it grow forever.
      -Ken W

• #21815 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I changed how messages get posted) Ken,
      This is merely a thought, and in no way intended to intrude on your programming. Have you thought about using something like
      Link: http://www.vbulletin.com/(http://www.vbulletin.com/) 
      that has a pre-built interface and such that can do almost anything message / file wise? It’s merely a thought, and I am not quite sure what your ultimate intentions of this site is in the end (functionality-wise) but thought I would throw it out on the table.
      I know what it is like to do your own programming and such – it can be fun to tinker – and that is fine, sometimes I just get done doing things, and in the the end am like – “oh I could have just used this”. Anyhow.. whatever it may be, just please keep this site up! – being able to chat with you on a very casual basis, and talk to the Sierra Source himself is an experience equal to playing an ‘ol Sierra game =)
      Thanks for the site Ken!
      -Brad

• #21816 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I changed how messages get posted) You are right … that would have been a lot simpler.
      I have lots of ideas for extending this that I couldn’t really have done with an “off the shelf” BBS package.
      In particular, the code that I wrote was never really intended as a BBS. The idea was that it would create custom websites for “associations” based on pre-existing templates. If you go to
      Link: http://www.talkspot.com(http://www.talkspot.com) 
      you’ll get a sense of where I’m going longer-term. The idea is that it feel like a website, but have the dynamic attributes of a BBS (data driven).
      -Ken W

• #21817 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I changed how messages get posted) That’s cool Ken. Glad to see where you are headed with this… just piping in where I can. Keep it up, and let us all know what we can do to help you test it out.
      -Brad

• #21818 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I changed how messages get posted) one way many bulletin boards limit the number of threads displayed is to have the user specify how many days old the topic should be, with a drop-down menu that says
      Only display messages from…
      today
      last 2 days
      last 5 days
      last 20 days
      etc.

Then depending on what the user has selected, only the topics from that number of days are displayed. Don’t know if it would be worth implementing here, but it’d be one way to go about it. It could muck up the pages where there are fewer posts, though.
      -emily

• #21819 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I changed how messages get posted) That’s it for me for the night …. I’m wiped out. I just noticed that the emails that go out about posted messages get sent, but then don’t bring up the message. Darn – it’s always something… I’ll figure it out tomorrow.
      I also need to optimize the sending of the “new Message emails” because they are taking too long to send, and impose a delay when you post a message.
      This hobby is becoming a job!
      -Ken W

• #21820 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I changed how messages get posted) Emily:
      Good idea … I’ll consider that… this board is growing in size at a fast rate. It will be interesting to see what happens when I go out of town (eastern europe) for a month this summer.
      Hmmm … one problem I can think of is that this system doesn’t really distinguish between messages and menu items. Any message can be a menu item. For instance, there are messages that exist purely for navigation, and others that are part of the system (much of the system is written in itself) – such as the logoff message. These would get “pruned” if I didn’t think of a way to stop that from happening.
      Oh well… it’s like a big adventure game!
      -Ken

• #21821 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I changed how messages get posted) Hi Ken,
      I just recently stumbled on this site (I don’t remember exactly how I found you…I recall stumbling upon Al Lowe’s site around the same time…oh well), and I notice this thread is a month old so you may not see this, but what about adding a feature (if you haven’t already considered it) for making a search of the existing threads and/or texts of the threads to find out if various topics you’re interested in exist yet? I don’t know how much that might add to the load on this system, not being much more than a base dabbler in programming myself, but have you considered it yet?
      Oh, and thank you for putting this site up–it is really neat to learn about everything that went into Sierra On-Line and it’s history; I’m 25 and so I missed out on understanding the importance of most of it as it was happening, though I do remember the games fondly! =) Thanks.

• #21822 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I changed how messages get posted) I definitely plan on adding a search feature – but, am busy fixing the navigation, and the fact that the site is ugly.
      Mostly though, I lost a month of development while the film festival was going on. I’m a bit of a film fanatic, and Seattle just had the international film festival. It lasted a month, and basically took over my life. I’m now back working on the code and you should start seeing some major upgrades soon.
      -Ken W

• #21823 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I changed how messages get posted) I’m sorry to say this, but as someone above pointed out.. v-bulletin is really the way (there are also others out there that are free and do exactly the same, but with fewer options).
      One of the problems with the current version is that is sends an email to everybody ,with all email adresses visible. (you should put the email adresses in the bcc of the email)..

• #21824 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I changed how messages get posted) I’ll fix the BCC problem within a week. Sorry … am bogged down on some other stuff.
      -Ken W

• #21825 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: I changed how messages get posted) Here’s another good piece of forum software:
      Link: http://www.phpbb.com(http://www.phpbb.com) 
      And it’s free, and very easy..

Viewing 11 reply threads
Reply To: I changed how messages get posted
Your information: