HELP: King’s Quest Collection on Windows XP

HOME Forums Bugs / Tech Help HELP: King’s Quest Collection on Windows XP

Viewing 47 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Hey everyone. I have the King’s Quest Collection and I’m trying to run the setup off of CD 1 of 3. My operating system is Windows XP and I see in the previous posts that getting the old Sierra games to run in XP is a nightmare. In trying to even run the Setup file I’m getting the message, “Application error: Integer divide by 0.” Anyone know what this means and what I need to do? Thanks in advance!

• #23613 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: HELP: King’s Quest Collection on Windows XP)

Just go into each game’s folder on the CD and run the setups from there. To have sound with the DOS games, download VDMSound http://vogons.zetafleet.com/ndldownload.php?filename=VDMSound2.1.0.exe  and install it. Open each DOS game’s folder on your hard drive and right click on the games executable (usually SIERRA.EXE) and choose “Run with VDMS”. This version of KQ7 should run with no problems. You will have to do more to get the Windows version of King’s Quest 5 and 6 going. KQ5 needs 640×480 resolution and 256 colors to run. The problem is that XP hides this resolution from the user and the game checks for this resolution before Compatibility Mode can change it, so it just quits. You will have to change your resolution in the advanced display settings before you start the game. An easy work around is to make a batch file to replace the Windows’ shortcut to launch the game with. Just right click on your KQ5 shortcut and copy what is in the targetbox and paste it into Notepad. Save this as KQ5.bat (be sure that it has the ‘.bat’ extension) and set it to run in Compatibility Mode – 640×480 and 256 colors. Now just launch the game with this bat file. The Win version of King’s Quest 6 takes the most to get going on XP. You’ll need to have VDMSound and the VDMS Launchpad installed on your system to do it, but you will need it to play the older KQ games with audio, anyway. 1) Download VDMSound and install it. 2) Go to the KQ6 shortcut in your stary menu and right click on it and choose “Properties”. Copy what is in the “Target:” box and paste it in Notepad. Save it in the games folder as KQ6.bat. 3) Copy the file “RESOURCE.AUD” from the CD to the installed game folder on your hard drive. 4) Open your game’s installed folder on your hard drive and delete the file “HDLOGO.AVI” and open the file “SIERRA.INI” (it may be in a sub-folder named “WIN”) in Notepad. Look for the lines: audpath=D: audio=D: movieplayer=1 (Note, yours may be different, depending on what letter drive your CD-ROM is.) Chang this to: audpath=. audio=. movieplayer=0 EDIT: Note that the audpath= and audio= lines should each be =dot back slash, but this board does not allow a back slash 5) Right click on the file in the installed folder, “SCIWV.EXE” and go to the Compatibility tab and choose Compatibility mode for Win 98 or Win 9, 256 colors. do the same for the file you made earlier, “KQ6.bat” 6) Now all you have to do is right click on the .bat file you made and choose “♫ Run with VDMS” (the one with the musical notes) and the game should run. You will find a new file in the installed folder — “KQ6.VLP” When you want to play the game after this, just double click on this file. You can copy this file to your desktop, your start menu or where ever you fid easy to get at to run the game. If you have any trouble with this, just post any questions here. This method can be used to get LB2 running, too. Also you can try the DOS versions of the games as well.

• #23614 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Thanks for your help, Collector! The only games I haven’t been able to get running are KQ6 and LB2. The one thing in your instructions that I can’t seem to get right is how to make a batch file. Can you further explain that? I was able to work around that problem with KQ5 and just switch my system settings, however I don’t think I can get KQ6 running without a batch file? I installed KQ6 through the KQC SETUP CD and am working with the KQ6 files now on my hard drive from there. Regarding your above instructions I had problems with the following: (1) I found no HDLOGO.AVI file, however I didn’t care much since you said to delete it anyway. (2) Like I said I’m having problems making a batch file. When I right click the shortcut and select properties, you want me to copy what is in the target box for the shortcut into Notepad, right? When I click on the “Find Target” box I see all the icons and am not sure what to copy into Notepad in order to make the batch file. I can’t copy these icons in there, can I? I think I’m confused as to what I’m supposed to do. So where it stands now, after I set compatability in SCIV file to WIN98/256 colors and try to run, nothing is happening. But I realize that I probably can’t go any further without being able to run using VDMS, since I can’t even do that with the SCIV file. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

• #23615 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Also, is VDMS Launchpad separate from VDMSOUND? The link you provided gave me VDMSOUND, which is now installed on my PC. Thanks!

• #23616 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

The version of VDMS that I gave you the link to has the Launchpad included. A batch file is just a text file of commands that you want to run, that has a “.bat” extension instead of a “.txt” extension. If you have: C:\SIERRA\KQC\KQ6\SCIV.EXE typed in the bat file and SCIV.EXE is in the C:SIERRA\KQC\KQ6 folder, when you double click on the bat file, it will launch SCIV.EXE. VDMS will not work with DOS executables, but it will work with “.bat” files, which is why we need the bat file. You can also set bat files to run with compatability mode, too. Don’t click the “Find Target” button. If you look at that page of the shortcut properties, you will see a column on the left that starts out with Target type: Target location: Target: what is to the right of Target: is the text that you should copy into Notepad. It should say something like C:\SIERRA\KQC\KQ6\SCIV.EXE C:SIERRA\KQC\KQ6\SIERRA.INI Yours may be different, depending on where you installed the game. After you have copyed this into notepad, save your new file in the games folder, but be sure to save it with the “.bat” extension, such as “KQ6.bat” or even “King’s Quest VI.bat” It is this file that you want to run with VDMS. If you still have trouble, just ask for more help here.

• #23617 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

If none of these Windows methods work, just go to the command prompt in accessories and play the game through DOS, or make a partition with DOS just to play. Though I don’t get why your KQ6 is goofy like this. I’ve ran mine on XP for years now without any problems. Other than switching video types, but nothing else seemed to bother it.

• #23618 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

The Windows version of KQ6 is superior to the DOS version with the higher resolution images. The DOS version is easy to run on an NT system with VDMS. The Windows version will not even launch without this method.

• #23619 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

strangely enough, i’ve been playing kq6 thru win xp for a good many years now. however, i do acknowledge everybody’s pc systems and specs are different and do different things with the same product

• #23620 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Thanks Collector – everything is running now. Long live Sierra!

• #23621 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Viva la Sierra! And why are so many copies of Laura Bow 1 in Las Vegas thrift stores?

• #23622 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: HELP: King’s Quest Collection on Windows XP) And why are so many copies of Laura Bow 1 in Las Vegas thrift stores?
      I don’t suppose you’ve seen any sealed copies out there?

• #23623 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: HELP: King’s Quest Collection on Windows XP) The only sealed copies are Slash copies.

Since floppies start de-magnetizing after 2.5 years, I’d never, ever buy anything sealed that’s on any form of magnetic data (no, I never bought VHS movies, I bought LD and VCD).

Having worked with PCs for over 24 years, and I know about data loss.

The copy of LB1 that caught my eye was a dual floppy version, and at the store, I was allowed to install and boot it up on one of there PCs for sale. Both versions are okay, but it was strange that both were on extremely low density disks. Both 360 KB, one version was 5.25 floppy, the onther was 3.5 floppy. That answered me as to why the box was so heavy. All the goodies were in there, times two. It was only 5 bucks, but since I own 3 copies of LB1 already, I passed and hoped somebody like you could find it. The really weird was it was in a white box under the cover, just like the other 3 copies I own. I’ve never seen LB1 in a beige box like my original Silpheed or Leisure Suit Larry copies are.

If I come across any copies again, I’ll send notice to this website, and location of store in LV. I’m only going to do this to pre-VU Sierra products.

• #23624 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: HELP: King’s Quest Collection on Windows XP)

> The really weird was it was in a white box under the cover, just like the other 3 copies I own. I’ve never seen LB1 in a beige box like my original Silpheed or Leisure Suit Larry copies are.

I’ve got a version of LB1 that came in the beige box – it was when it was first released (when QG1 was still Hero’s Quest), and also has both types of low-density disks.

• #23625 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: re: HELP: King’s Quest Collection on Windows XP)

That explains that, but still, the box was white, but the disks were old Sierra. Oh, well, if could be a British/Australian copy or what-not.

Hero’s Quest. Memory serves me on something . . .

However, I suffer from terrible amnesia, thanks to Las Vegas area hospitals’ medications.

• #23626 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: re: re: HELP: King’s Quest Collection on Windows XP)

The copy I got was bought in New Zealand.

• #23627 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: re: re: re: HELP: King’s Quest Collection on Windows XP)

There’s a Goodwill store down by UNLV (right across the street, near the Post Office) that has (as of yesterday afternoon) King’s Quest V, but they didn’t let check it out. It had a funny box, a purple box, not the blue box. Also, there was LB1 and a CD copy of LB2, which I bought. The LB1 is for Mac, but was priced rather high for a thrift store, as a new copy of Battlefield something was only $15 and this LB1 was $30, so I passed on it.

Also, be on the look-out for extremely good pirates on eBay. The old PC games that are pirated are grainy on the cover, but only if you hold the box right up to your eye (which can’t be done on eBay) and the shrink wrap is very stiff and heavy, which is the type of shrink wrap sold to small businesses or consumers. The disks’ labels are printed in Publisher or something, but it’s just plain, and these can look like pirates.

I told the seller he sold me a bunk version. He refunded me promptly and I sent the copy of SQ4 for Mac back to him.
      I honestly feel he didn’t know, just beware is all I can warn. PlayStation games, too.

• #23628 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I did everything Collector said to do (except delete that avi, which I couldn’t find anywhere), but KQ6 still won’t run. I get as far as the screen going black and the dos sound box popping up. Then the desktop comes back and the dos box has a prompt to press any key. I press any key and the box closes…then nothing else happens.

• #23629 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Delete the game’s installed folder to do a clean install of the game, following this guide:

http://community.vugames.com/WebX?14@151.92gHeUt2kbu.3@.1dd96917/0

• #23630 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

hi. i did what you said about King’s Quest 6 and everything worked except when i tried to run it with VDMS. it said CAN’T FIND INTERP.ERR. please help!!

• #23631 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I tried the suggestions for running KQ5 in Windows XP. After some fiddling, I got it to run, with sound. Eureka! Then I had to stop, so I saved the game and quit. When I came back to the computer, I couldn’t figure out what I had done to make the game run. I tried following the same steps as before, but couldn’t get it to run. If I just double click the KQ5.bat file that I made, the game starts, but with no sound. When I right click on the KQ5.bat file that I had made and choose “♫ Run with VDMS”, the VDMS started, but then I get an error message saying that my display driver is not supported by this game. When I click “OK” I go back to the window with the command prompt and the heading “Inactive VDMS Launchpad” at the top of the screen. It looks like the Word doc that I have attached. Any help would be appreciated.
      VDMS message

• #23632 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Try setting your computer to 640×480 resolution and 256 colors before you launch the game.

To do this in XP:

Right-click desktop
      Select Properties
      Select Settings tab
      Click Advanced
      Select Adapter tab
      Click List All Modes
      Select 640×480 and 256 colors from the list

-emily

• #23633 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

The whole color is now working but the sound still won’t. Any tips?

• #23634 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Also, for KQ6 I can’t copy the RESOURCE.AUD file. I get a message saying: Canot copy RESOURCE: Data error. (cyclic redundancy check) Any tips? (Yeah I know I said that last time)

• #23635 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Okay, I looked around and found out that my disk was dirty scratched etc. But I can’t find my cleaner spray!!! I was wondering if anyone could upload their resource.aud file for me to use.

P.S. My icon interface in KQ6 is kinda messed up. When I right-click it doesn’t change and when I click on the icon in the bar where inventory is it changes the action but not the icon. Example: I pressed the eye and I still had a talk bubble.

• #23636 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

The EXACT same thing is happening to me right now. Exactly. I’m able to get around it (albeit in a very frustrating manner) by moving the mouse out of the game window and back on, but having to do that every time I change the cursor is beyond stupid.

-A

• #23637 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Oh. And on another note….

“hi. i did what you said about King’s Quest 6 and everything worked except when i tried to run it with VDMS. it said CAN’T FIND INTERP.ERR. please help!!”

I can help here. What has happened is that you put the batch file in another folder. Probably in a higher-up folder or something. Find the .bat file and put it into the folder where “INTERP.ERR” is (it’s also the folder where SCIWV.EXE is located). Then right click that, use with VDMS, and it should work fine. If VDMS created another shortcut file, and you want to use the same one, right-click the shortcut file, and where it says “DOS Command line,” click the Change button, and it should give you the option to find the .bat file wherever you have moved it.

-A

• #23638 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I Can hear the music on KQ6. But There isn’t any talking. If the setting is on speech and I have the bubble to talk to someone, it doesn’t do anything. And it is really boring me trying to play with it in text mode. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

• #23639 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I have the exact opposite problem: The talking, narration and colors are all fine. The ONLY thing missing is the music and the background sound. The MUSIC and the background sounds are so necessary for my kq6 experience!!! Does anyone know what is going on? I just recently installed kq6 on my Windows XP with the VDM instructions provided elsewhere in the forum.

I also have another little question: In the instructions, when it says to change the line “movieplayer = 1” to “movieplayer = 0” in the sierra.ini notepad file, I had a different line there instead! I originally had

audpath=D:audio=D:sync=D:
      INSTEAD OF

audpath=D:audio=D:movieplayer=1

… So I decided to change “sync=D:\” to “sync=.\” with the other lines.

The game works fine, but is this small different in my file contributing to the lack of music and sound???

Help would be appreciated!!

ps. I notive there are some Australians on this forum? I am currently in a fandom community for David Wenham… I have a little Aussie fixation right now =p

• #23640 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Quote:
      “…I Can hear the music on KQ6. But There isn’t any talking. If the setting is on speech and I have the bubble to talk to someone, it doesn’t do anything. And it is really boring me trying to play with it in text mode. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?…”
      Amanda:

Obviously, your speech isn’t working. It’s your settings. But are you using DOS or Windows to run the game? The solution I give depends on which version.

Quote:
      “…I have the exact opposite problem: The talking, narration and colors are all fine. The ONLY thing missing is the music and the background sound. The MUSIC and the background sounds are so necessary for my kq6 experience!!! Does anyone know what is going on? I just recently installed kq6 on my Windows XP with the VDM instructions provided elsewhere in the forum.

I also have another little question: In the instructions, when it says to change the line “movieplayer = 1” to “movieplayer = 0” in the sierra.ini notepad file, I had a different line there instead! I originally had

audpath=D:audio=D:sync=D:
      INSTEAD OF

audpath=D:audio=D:movieplayer=1

… So I decided to change “sync=D:” to “sync=.” with the other lines.

The game works fine, but is this small different in my file contributing to the lack of music and sound???

Help would be appreciated!!…”
      Leah:
      Assuming you’re running in Windows, to solve your MIDI music problems, 3 questions.
      1. What do select when you install the game for MIDI? Base, extended?
      2. What sound card do you use?
      3. In Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Audio, what do you have under ‘MIDI music playback’?

Quote:
      “…ps. I notive there are some Australians on this forum? I am currently in a fandom community for David Wenham… I have a little Aussie fixation right now =p
      …”
      I’m Australian, for irony’s sake 🙂

David Wenham’s great. One of the true Aussie actors, hasn’t sold out in Hollywood, usually is in great stuff. Assuming you live outside Australia, I don’t suppose you ever saw a TV show called SeaChange? That was probably Wenham at his peak.
      Interesting to see someone who likes Australians, anyway. I suppose it’s a lot better than ‘Where’s Australia?’ which is most Sierra fans 😉

Regards,
      – Alistair

• #23641 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Quote:
      “…Leah:
      Assuming you’re running in Windows, to solve your MIDI music problems, 3 questions.
      1. What do select when you install the game for MIDI? Base, extended?
      2. What sound card do you use?
      3. In Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Audio, what do you have under ‘MIDI music playback’?…”
      1. I select BASE.
      2. Sound card? I don’t know… the installation never asks me about sound card. All it asks me is base or extended. I have a Gateway PC, running windows XP.
      3. For MIDI playback, it says “Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth”

Well, see, after LotR, I got into fandom, which led me to David Wenham fandom, and yeah. Since I’ve been in this fandom, I learned about seachange, etc, but of course, being in the US I’ve never been able to get any of his DVDs except the Bank, and I see *cough* BTS but I’m just not that sort of person LOL! Anyhoo, I’m glad he’s well-known and respected in his homeland. I really wish he’d come here and *change* Hollywood, and make it a more valuable place. Not sell out, but just… um… contribute beneficially. ^_^
      ~Leah

• #23642 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

You know when I download Kq it asks me if i want to play from cd or install in hard drive. First time I installed it I did it to hard drive. I reinstalled it to play from cd and now during the game, the people don’t talk but it brings up their picture box like they are going to say something. But I play the game with vdm sound program. So I am guessing it’s dos. I really don’t know. So I guess send me 1 set of intstructions and if that doesn’t work I will bother you with some more! Thanks so much!

• #23643 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Quote:
      “…1. I select BASE.
      2. Sound card? I don’t know… the installation never asks me about sound card. All it asks me is base or extended. I have a Gateway PC, running windows XP.
      3. For MIDI playback, it says “Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth”…”
      Select ‘extended’. That’s General MIDI, which the Microsoft Synth is fully capable of producing. That should be fine. If you run VDM Sound it will run it fine.

Quote:
      “…Well, see, after LotR, I got into fandom, which led me to David Wenham fandom, and yeah. Since I’ve been in this fandom, I learned about seachange, etc, but of course, being in the US I’ve never been able to get any of his DVDs except the Bank, and I see *cough* BTS but I’m just not that sort of person LOL! Anyhoo, I’m glad he’s well-known and respected in his homeland. I really wish he’d come here and *change* Hollywood, and make it a more valuable place. Not sell out, but just… um… contribute beneficially. ^_^
      ~Leah…”
      Well, LOTR did highlight Australia/NZ’s talents 🙂

SeaChange was special. I think it changed this country.

I don’t know that Australian actors ARE respected enough, even here. I think Wenham’s underrated, probably. But then again Australians generally watch US films, so unless he WAS in Hollywood they wouldn’t know 🙂

I wish someone would destroy Hollywood and we could start again 🙂 I am sick of movies like ‘Monster-In-Law’.

Quote:
      “…You know when I download Kq it asks me if i want to play from cd or install in hard drive. First time I installed it I did it to hard drive. I reinstalled it to play from cd and now during the game, the people don’t talk but it brings up their picture box like they are going to say something. But I play the game with vdm sound program. So I am guessing it’s dos. I really don’t know. So I guess send me 1 set of intstructions and if that doesn’t work I will bother you with some more! Thanks so much!
      …”
      Well, seems like you’ve set something up incorrectly. Are you running Sierra.exe with VDM Sound? If so, open your resource.cfg file with Notepad, and copy/paste it here.

– Alistair

• #23644 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Thank you so much. I will try this. Ah, school starts tomorrow… and such innocent fun will be reduced. *sigh*

Underrated indeed! I respect Wenham for not selling out to Hollywood like Crowe and Kidman, but at the same time I’d love to see him on the big screen again. *sigh* …his film “Pure” is coming to San Francisco in September. I can’t wait… to see Keira paying him or whatever LOL!! *dies happy*

• #23645 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Quote:
      “…Thank you so much. I will try this. Ah, school starts tomorrow… and such innocent fun will be reduced. *sigh*

Underrated indeed! I respect Wenham for not selling out to Hollywood like Crowe and Kidman, but at the same time I’d love to see him on the big screen again. *sigh* …his film “Pure” is coming to San Francisco in September. I can’t wait… to see Keira paying him or whatever LOL!! *dies happy*
      …”
      School eh? I have to juggle a full-time job and college, so don’t complain to me hon 😉
      I know how you feel though. Also, let me know how you go with KQVI.

I don’t think he’s had an opportunity to ‘sell out’. And for the record, Russell Crowe isn’t Australian 🙂
      I certainly don’t like Nicole Kidman OR Tom Cruise’s acting, now or ever. I think they’re poor actors, doesn’t mean anything to me that they’re Australian. Well, maybe something 😉
      Colin Friels, Sam Neill, etc. are more my cup of tea.

Ah, Pure is coming over there eh? Let me know what you think of it! I really feel like going to see a local movie now. 😀

– Alistair

• #23646 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Err, yeah I’ll have to do the job+college experience in a year. Not looking forward to it.
      Umm, yeah KQ6 still didn’t have music or sound. Just talking. <_< Someday I'll get a techie... in the flesh. Everyone keeps saying Russel Crowe is Australian… heh o_0

• #23647 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Quote:
      “… Colin Friels, Sam Neill, etc. are more my cup of tea.

…”

Sam Neill is a kiwi!

• #23648 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Yes, of course you’re right, Ants 🙂
      As I was writing it I was wondering. Must’ve been the Enough Rope interview that confused me. 🙂

Leah: Maybe you have the volume turned down? If you’re running DOS, have General MIDI selected and run VDM Sound, and if you’re running Windows, have Extended MIDI selected. That logically solves the problem. Maybe your volume for ‘SW Synth’ is too low 🙂

– Alistair

• #23649 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Ok. I think I am going to unistall KQ6 again. Then re-install it. I installed it the 1st time with the instructions on the 1st page of these forums. I can’t find the file you are asking about. So I thought re-install and then go from there. Unless you have some step by step instuctions on installation for me. I am up for any help. Thanks a bunch!
      Amanda

• #23650 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Amanda,

Setup.exe installs the Windows version, install.exe installs the DOS version. In XP, KQ6 is probably better run in DOS, with VDM Sound (not DOSBOX).

Select ‘General MIDI’ for music, and ‘Sound Blaster’ for sound, assuming you have some sound card or onboard chip sound.

Simply right-click Sierra.exe and select run with VDMS, and you should get flawless performance (well, the music will run too slowly, you need a VDM Sound addon for that, and there’s possibly a timer bug in there somewhere, but c’est la vie. Besides, I can fix those if you want).

– Alistair

• #23651 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I tried following these instructions, I also didn’t have the HDLOGO.avi file to delete… I did everything other than that, when I try to run the KQ6.vlp I end up getting an error “SCIKQ6V has caused a general protection fault in module KRNL386.exe at 0001:A01C” and am forced to close, any thoughts? 🙂

• #23652 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Quote:
      “… (by Janellejhollars@tampabay.rr .com) I tried following these instructions, I also didn’t have the HDLOGO.avi file to delete… I did everything other than that, when I try to run the KQ6.vlp I end up getting an error “SCIKQ6V has caused a general protection fault in module KRNL386.exe at 0001:A01C” and am forced to close, any thoughts? 🙂
      …”

Very bizarre. 🙂

Why not run the DOS version? Better graphics (arguably) and much simpler to run. Under XP, just install DOS and run it with VDM Sound (and Speedset) for full working sound.

– Alistair

• #23653 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

i have a question… ive just recently gotten this game from bittorrent. but, i dont have sierra.ini, SCIWV.EXE, or HDLOGO.AVI. absolutely everything works except i cant get speech to sound. i can read it, and all the video is fine, but i cant hear the words. any ideas? could someone perhaps send me those files?

• #23654 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

ok, i got the files working, but for the life of me i cant get the speech to work. why is this so hard?

• #23655 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Quote:
      “… (by bsb_4_life_86@hotmail.com) ok, i got the files working, but for the life of me i cant get the speech to work. why is this so hard?
      …”

You don’t need any of those files mentioned previously. You just need to run sierra.exe with VDM Sound/Speedset and have resource.aud (which should be a big file, 200 MB plus).

Regards,
      – Alistair

• #23656 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I’ve got KQ6 running nearly-perfectly (the colors get all garbled for a bit at seemingly random times o.O), but one thing really bugs me (I’m using Windows XP SP2). The cursor’s graphic doesn’t update/refresh unless you move it outside of the window and back again. For example, if the walk icon is currently selected and displayed in the window, right-clicking will cycle it to the next action (hand, I think?), but it will still look like the walk icon, even though it will function correctly as the hand icon. Basically, the game doesn’t “redraw” the cursor to reflect changes that the player makes. This adds a lot of frustration to the game as I have to constantly move the mouse in and out of the window just to be sure of what I’m doing (it’s especially annoying, when you’re trying to use inventory items).

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, any ideas on how to fix it?

• #23657 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Yeah, play the DOS CD version and use VDM Sound 🙂

– Alistair

• #23658 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Can someone give me a similar guide to setting KQ6 up in DOS with VDMSound? Because from what I’ve tried on my own, the sound is a bit laggy and the fade in and out of the Sierra logo and the KQ6 logo at the beginning are agonizingly slow.

• #23659 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Quote:
      “… (by Chris Cardoso) Can someone give me a similar guide to setting KQ6 up in DOS with VDMSound? Because from what I’ve tried on my own, the sound is a bit laggy and the fade in and out of the Sierra logo and the KQ6 logo at the beginning are agonizingly slow.
      …”
      Well, what I did was to have VDM Sound installed (obviously) and then all you have to do is right-click Sierra.exe and select ‘run with VDMS’.

If the sound is laggy, download VDM Sound’s addon ‘Speedset’ (from http://vogons.zetafleet.com&nbsp; ). Copy speedset.exe and .dll to your KQ6 folder, and make a batch file in your KQ6 folder like so:
      “speedset .005
      sierra.exe” (delete quotes)

Then run that batch file with VDM Sound, and it *should* correct the speed problem with the music. Some later games aren’t supported by it, but I’m fairly sure KQ6 was one of the last and did get support.

Get back to me.

Regards,
      – Alistair

Viewing 47 reply threads
Reply To: HELP: King’s Quest Collection on Windows XP
Your information: