April 23, 2005 at 7:21 pm #24067Unknown,UnknownParticipant
Hi. I just recently got a new computer and found some of the old King’s Quest games in storage. I thought I installed KQ6 correctly, but when I tried to start the game it would flash twice and then return to the main page. I’ve read some of the posts here and on other sites about similar issues, but I’m not exactly a computer whiz–so a lot of the adivce confuses me. (Dosbox? VDMS?) If someone could clearly and as simply as possible explain what I can do to run KQ6 on Windows XP as cleanly as possible I would greatly appreciate it.
May 2, 2005 at 4:33 pm #24068Unknown,UnknownParticipant
The Win version of King’s Quest 6 takes the most to get going on XP. You’ll need to have VDMSound and the VDMS Launchpad installed on your system to do it, but you will need it to play the older KQ games with audio, anyway.
1) Go to http://ntvdm.cjb.net/ , download VDMSound and the VDMS Launchpad and install both.
2) Go to the KQ6 shortcut in your stary menu and right click on it and choose “Properties”. Copy what is in the “Target:” box and paste it in Notepad. Save it in the games folder as KQ6.bat.
3) Copy the file “RESOURCE.AUD” from the CD to the installed game folder on your hard drive.
4) Open your game’s installed folder on your hard drive and delete the file “HDLOGO.AVI” and open the file “SIERRA.INI” (it may be in a sub-folder named “WIN”) in Notepad. Look for the lines:
(Note, yours may be different, depending on what letter drive your CD-ROM is.) Chang this to:
5) Right click on the file in the installed folder, “SCIWV.EXE” and go to the Compatibility tab and choose Compatibility mode for Win 98 or Win 9, 256 colors. do the same for the file you made earlier, “KQ6.bat”
6) Now all you have to do is right click on the .bat file you made and choose “♫ Run with VDMS” (the one with the musical notes) and the game should run.
You will find a new file in the installed folder — “KQ6.VLP” When you want to play the game after this, just double click on this file. You can copy this file to your desktop, your start menu or where ever you fid easy to get at to run the game. If you have any trouble with this, just post any questions here.