Fonts suggestion

HOME Forums SierraGamers Website Fonts suggestion

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I have a Mac OS X, and  I don’t know in Windows, but the fonts are very tiny, and a little difficult to read for the forum messages and for the little menu on top of each forum. Can we make them Ariel 10 or so? It will make readability a lot better.

• #21971 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

This is the way it’s been ever since it has had this design, and no, it is not a Mac problem, it is this way on my PCs, too. Also, the way that the tables are fixed width causes it to be just a narrow strip down the middle forces you to have to do a lot more scrolling. It is one of the reasons that I don’t post here often, anymore. My guess is that Ken must have his resolution set very low, but it doesn’t make very comfortable for most people.

• #21972 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

what resolution do you run at? i have mine at 1360×768 and it looks just fine. keep in mind that the majority of people still run 800×600;

• #21973 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I’m running1400x1050 on my 20″, but I think that you are way off on your estimate on the number of people running at 800×600. I work on a lot of various people’s computers and almost never encounter a resolution that low. After all, that is the lowest resolution that XP easily lets you set. Big monitors are cheap, now and 800×600 looks really clunky on anything larger than a 14″ monitor.

All of this moot, anyway. A good webmaster will take into account that not all will be using the same resolution and design his site to accommodate a wide variety of resolutions and browsers. It is a cop out to design for one resolution and one browser and then proudly announce “Best viewed at 800×600 in Internet Explorer 6.”

The solution is easy, though. Do not use fixed pixel sized tables and columns. Looking at the CSS file it specifies the font size of the messages as “x-small”. This does not work out in too many cases. This designation is usually used for disclaimers and copyright info at the bottom of a page, not the content. It is better to set font size by points or even pixels. After all, the default font size for most word processors is 12 pt. 10 pt is not an unreasonable request for the content.

• #21974 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Running at 1024×768 on a somewhat smaller monitor, I don’t find the fonts too small. Although I usually like smaller font sizes. Then again, in some browsers, you can just adjust the font size. But, on the other hand, making the font larger also makes it look even worse in the narrow tables. This was one of the things I was hoping you’d be able to figure out around here, JT, either building your own template or finding out how to adjust Ken’s templates so that you can change the way the forums look… anyway, I suspect we’ve been missing each other on Yahoo, so I’ll shoot you an email when I get a chance.

• #21975 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

The font size you have on the AGDI site looks just fine, Brandon. Again, the narrow tables could easily be fixed by setting them to percents instead of pixels. This could make it display better, regardless of the resolution. Why must there be a sea of olive green on either side of the narrow table. Why not set the table width to, say 90 or 95%? I’m using a page with a drop shadow effect on my site, too. It is set to 95% and works well with a wide range of resolutions:

The Sierra Help Pages

• #21976 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

LOL collector, it’s funny you should mention that site as an example (did you mean the SITE, or the FORUM?) – it’s not a great site, but the font sizes are OK as you say – and it DOES have an 800×600 disclaimer LOL. Then again it’s a much older site by now, a ‘look-only’ site, and a fixed-size site. I never designed it… I just tried to pretty up the existing design. These days, if you want to do a fixed site, you do it in flash so that all of the content sizes to fit the resolution.

You’re right in the points you mention as far as something such as a forum goes. We’ll see if we can change the width of these tables.

• #21977 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Sorry, I was under the impression that you did the AGDI site. I was only referring to the font size, not the general design. I realize that this is Ken’s hobby, but a lot of times I wish that the forums here were just plain old PHP based boards. Easy to read, Easy to navigate. Easy to track all of the treads that you are following.

• #21978 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

It seems there isn’t a lot of control over most aspects of the forums as well as other aspects of a Talkspot site. I understand that a new version of Talkspot is on the way with many improvements. I’ve switched over to a completely blank layout which should, at least for now, make the forums easier to use.

• #21979 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Wow! Fonts are so much better! I just put it up yesterday as a suggestion… thanks for the quick turnaround.

• #21980 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Quite a bit better. The fonts are still smaller than i would like, but are more legible than before.

• #21981 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

collector, while i agree with you that it is a cop out to design a site to one specific resolution, i still dont think very many people use more than 800×600. i do IT work for the entire district of farmers insurance in my city and have never found anyone using more than the XP and Vistas default 800×600 resolution, other than people with notebooks and lcd monitors, which around here is like 1% of the total people. that might be different in other areas of the country though, i dont know, even our best buy and circuit city stores barely cary any lcd monitors.

the fact is that you still have to support 800×600 at least, and in rare cases you need to support 640×480 and ‘text-only’ browsers, so we cant make the fonts too big either or those people will suffer the exact opposite problems.

• #21982 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Around here you can hardly find a CRT in the stores, anymore. I guess this is a matter of anecdotal evidence for both of us. But the fact is that the font size was set to “x-small”, the smallest size. Size needs to be set for the middle ground, not only one extreme. If people running the lowest resolution find the it too big they can their font size down, just the same as those running at a higher resolution can set it up.

On a side note, I just stumbled on this, Care With Font Size, on the w3.org site while validating a page of mine.

Viewing 12 reply threads
Reply To: Fonts suggestion
Your information: