Email Notify / Recent List suggestion

HOME Forums SierraGamers Website Email Notify / Recent List suggestion

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I’m not sure how the email notify list works, but it seems to be sending multiple messages. This may be from editing a message or from adding an image to a message, I’m not sure. Anyway, it probably shouldn’t do that, IMHO. It seemed to only happen once so far, when I posted SQ4 Comic thread under general / fan art. First I added the post, then added 3 images. Then I went back to the post, edited it, and added one more image. I got 2 email notifications afterwards.
      Also, seems not all areas get email notifications sent out, or something weird. You might want to check over how the whole thing works. I got notified of my reply to the powerpoint thread, but did not get an email about my ken 1996 photo posting, both of which are in the misc sierra area. Maybe it’s just delayed, but that doesn’t seem to be the case since the emails have been very prompt.
      Next, the recent messages list should keep track of edited messages. It shouldn’t create a new entry each time, but just move the link to the top of the list (assuming it should already exist in the list, or if the list has a limit and does not paginate, make a new link if it doesn’t exist).
      And as previously mentioned, it should (as well as the email notify list) keep track of the postings you make.
      These are great features and keeping track of postings in the expanding threaded style of this website would be hazardous without them!

• #21804 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(Another Suggestion (requirements for browsing this site))

I was wondering if it was possible to have guests browse this site rather than forcing them to register. However, I believe that you should still require them to register in order to post.

• #21805 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(Another Suggestion (signing up))

I was wondering if it was possible to have guests browse this site rather than forcing them to register. However, I believe that you should still require them to register in order to post.

• #21806 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: Another Suggestion (requirements for browsing this site)) I was wondering if it was possible to have guests browse this site rather than forcing them to register. However, I believe that you should still require them to register in order to post.
      Posted by: skcll on 10/17/2003

Good question!
      I require registration because I am trying to build an email list. The fact is that on most message board systems the ratio of “lurkers” to “posters” is at least 20 to 1. In other words, if I didn’t demand registration to read, I would receive 20 times fewer people registering.
      Why is registration important to me?
      The answer is that, sooner or later, Roberta or I will do something interesting and want to tell people about it. I’m trying to build a huge email list. Currently, this site has just over 2,000 registered users – which isn’t a bad start. This count will grow radically once I fix a few things, the biggest of which is that I need to write a bit of code to allow this site to be indexed by the search engines. For now, I’m not in a hurry to dramatically grow the number of visitors. The code behind this site is still “shaky” – it’s better to solve the code and design issues before opening it to the public.
      And now, here’s something REALLY interesting:
      Roberta has made the decision to start writing a book. It’s a fictional novel – but, beyond that I can’t say more. She would kill me if I gave away what it is about. She won’t seriously start writing until December, so I’m guessing it won’t be published for at least a year or more.
      -Ken W

• #21807 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: Another Suggestion (requirements for browsing this site)) Roberta is gonna write a novel? wow! that’s just like Lori Cole just finished writing a (QFG-world based) novel (“How To Be A Hero – By the Book”)
      Lori Cole has got a website at
      Link: http://www.howtobeahero.com(http://www.howtobeahero.com) 
      involving a on-line adventure in this spirit.

Viewing 4 reply threads
Reply To: Email Notify / Recent List suggestion
Your information: