Discussion: Open Sealed Games?

HOME Forums Swap / Find Games Discussion: Open Sealed Games?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I recently won sealed copies of Manhunter 1, 2, and Heart of China off ebay. And I’m on the lookout for more sealed copies of old games… Question is, should I open these treasures, or keep them sealed forever? I realize I shouldn’t horde these games and just let them stifle on a shelf in my room, but something inside me says “don’t open them! Keep them as fresh as the day they were shipped!” My vote is, keep the games sealed, and find opened copies of them to enjoy!

• #26167 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: Collecting Sealed Copies of Older Sierra Games…) I agree with you.. leave em sealed for collectings sake, and get you some opened playable copies.. it’s no fun unless you can play em! You can get MH 1 and 2 and Heart of China pretty affordably opened.
      -Brad

• #26168 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: Collecting Sealed Copies of Older Sierra Games…)

only buy games if you plan on playing ’em or don’t play ’em and be a jerk to all the people who worked on the project. and if you’re so worried about the disks, back ’em up at least 3 times. beware, though, that floppies start to erase themselves after 600 days, and over the years the data will erase.

• #26169 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: Collecting Sealed Copies of Older Sierra Games…)

Well, I just got these games in the mail, and guess what? They aren’t the original releases. I believe they’re cheaper “Slash” releases. I also just received an old copy of Code-Name: Iceman which I believe is a Slash release as well. These games don’t come in the standard Sierra 2-piece box. The box under the slip-cover is black and has a flip-top for Iceman, and white for Heart of China and Manhunter 1.

I think I read somewhere that the Slash releases contained cheaper documentation inside the box as well… black and white photo copies of the original paperwork.

• #26170 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: re: Collecting Sealed Copies of Older Sierra Games…)

That angers me that you got “Slashed”.

A good decade or so ago, I went to the BX at Nellis AFB and bought what I thought were “brand” new Sierra games (PQ 1-3, KQ 1-3, LSL 1-3 and QFG 2). All had a golden sticker around cheap shrink-wrap with the Slash name on it.

Though the games worked, I got none of the goodies to go with it, because all of the games looked cheap. The floppies all had dot-matrix labels, and the docs, like you have stated, were all photocopies. The magazine for LSL 3 wasn’t even use-able as I couldn’t see the numbers for the code to the waiter.

I also bought other games, like a new version of Double Dragon (dropped soda on original version) and DOS 5.0 that were also “Slashed”. Some LucasArts games were even slashed, as were many EA and Accolade games.

The key give-away to a Slash game is the extremely cheap box, usually a slip-cover, not the deluxe cover over a box that I recall everybody but LucasArts using at the time. Even the label for the system requirements are cheapened, and the actualy printing on the box looks like a color photocopy, and I wouldn’t put it past them.

Now, though the “original” as Slash version is not, playable it is, and everything is usually entacted. The only two games I ever had any trouble with is LSL 3 and Silpheed, both which I bought at a Smith’s Food King in Vegas. No, Larry 3 was at the BX . . . or maybe I bought them at the BX and a good many other games at the Smith’s FK? I can’t remember. The last Slash game I bought was Mortal Kombat 1 for PC, and all of the blood was gone till I used a code for it.

As I stated, the games play 95% of the time, so, as a teen, I bought many, many Slash games at the BX at Nellis, the Smith’s FK, Blockbuster Video, Target, Kaybee’s and a few small mom-and-pop stores. The average game was about $5 at the most in price, and many sold from $1.99 and up (Zork, Leather Goddess of Phobes). As a teen, I could go spend $50 on a new game (console or PC) or I could use that $50 and get LOTS of good games, just a few years on in age.

Now, if you get Slash games for over $10 to this day, that’s getting taken to the cleaners. I still find Slash games at Smith’s, book stores, thrift stores, and at CompUSA’s discount bin, whenever it’s out.

• #26171 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: re: re: Collecting Sealed Copies of Older Sierra Games…)

What do you mean by “slash” games? Are they pirated copies? Budget re-releases?

-emily

• #26172 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: re: re: re: Collecting Sealed Copies of Older Sierra Games…)

They are indeed budget releases of Sierra games… although I’m not sure if they’re authorized by Sierra.

You can learn more here: http://vintage-sierra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72 

information on “slash” releases at vintage-sierra.com

Viewing 6 reply threads
Reply To: Discussion: Open Sealed Games?
Your information: