Building a Sierra Computer

HOME Forums Open Discussion Building a Sierra Computer

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I’m trying to build a computer for Sierra games. I am thinking 486 is best since the old games will screw up on anything faster. I wanted to add a Roland MT-32 soundcard, but all information I find points to it not being a sound card. How do I install one? Anybody got a spare?

Any other suggestions / ideas welcome.

Also… does anyone have any MS-DOS (6, preferably) disks lying around?

Aaron

P.S. Remember that PQ game that had a computer with a SIERRA directory in it?

• #28077 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: Building a Sierra Computer)

The MT-32 was an external sound module that you hooked up to your MIDI card. It would be best to get an MPU-401 compatible card to use with it. Quest Studios message boards is a good place to go for more information and help on this.

http://www.QuestStudios.com/cgibin2/Ultimate.cgi 

• #28078 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Seeing as how Quest for Glory IV is my favorite game of all time, I considered this once as well. Error 52 is one tough nut to crack. I saw some 486s on E-Bay for as little as twenty bucks. In the end though, I found DOSBOX and just ran everything through that. To me it was much less of a hassle for the most part, but I can see how it might not have the same feel for the true enthusiast. If you’ve never tried it though, I highly recommend it. I’ve managed to get every sierra game I own to work through it, though some require some creative tweaking.

DOSBox download site

• #28079 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: Building a Sierra Computer) hey there is a program called freedos it is found at
      Link: http://www.freedos.org(http://www.freedos.org) 

I am have played several sierra games on it and appears to have full dos support including sound and video drivers support I would try that see if that helps

• #28080 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I have a copy of DOS 2000 that can be “backed-up”, as well as other ODCP copies of DOS 3-7, but I can mail you the DOS 2000 disks.

• #28081 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: Building a Sierra Computer) What I recommend is this:

i486DX/66 MHz
      64 MB RAM
      Cirrus Logic SVGA/VESA card
      SoundBlaster 16 ISA
      2 2 GB internal HDs
      DOS 2000 and Windows 3.1
      CD-ROM/R/RW or whatever, as long as OS recognizes it.

• #28082 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Error 52 has been conquered as well as several other Sierra timer bugs! go to http://geocities.com/belzorash/  for script level patches. These patches really do work.

• #28083 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

this is a great setup, but i also recommend a roland mt-32 midi module and isa midi processor to get the good music out of the old games. but you need a soundblaster also for the speech in the later ones. also if your really into it, you could get a roland sc-55 midi module for the later midi games, i dont think there are quite as many as the mt-32. also the 486dx4 100mhz is really good. and i found it on ebay for 4 dollars. probably not much different than the 66 though.

• #28084 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: Building a Sierra Computer) Roland MT-64 is also a good middle ground, but is very rare. Saw one only at RadioShack, and I bought it, about ten years ago.

DX4s are good, but I’ve encountered some bugs that the first Pentiums had. However, the bugs are Windows 95 related (from my testing) and shouldn’t affect any DOS programs.

Getting both Rolands is possible, as RadioShack has a splitter for MIDI keyboards, it ought to work with MIDI mods for old PCs. Once you hear Roland (espcially on Mortal Kombat), you don’t want to go back.

A SoundBlaster16 is nice for stereo sounds, but older SB cards do more clear speech. The reality for old Sierra games is I’ve never heard Stereo effects on any, so I’d use an older SB card. Some SB cards allow the Rolands to go through the joystick port, or even some joystick cards from the past (like Kraft’s) would fool the Rolands into working, but this’s just experimentation and ought to be done only at one’s own risk.

• #28085 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(Re: Building a Sierra Computer) roland? why must roland?

i got awe32, sounds perfectly cool!
      and we can add reverb and chorus (even in dos mode!)

• #28086 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(Re: Building a Sierra Computer) > roland? why must roland?

there are things the composed made the roland do that no version of the sb can ever do, because i have the same card you do, and i used to have a roland mt-32 module, and there’s a world of difference, like Madden 2004 on PS1 to the PS2 version!

• #28087 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: Building a Sierra Computer) if you want to play old sierra games and not deal with the hassle of putting together and old pc, try dosbox. You can set the CPU speed to whatever you like, so it can run without getting timer bugs. You just have to make sure you configure it right so you get optimum speeds (setting cpu cycles, opengl on)… it supports General midi and I *think* the regular version supports MT-32.. if its not supported in the official version, i know this version supports MT-32: http://www.artworxinn.com/alex/downloads.htm 

one thing though, for certain games you need to hit the exact CPU speed to get MT32 to play correctly (ie at normal settings QfG2 really sounds screwed up)

Viewing 11 reply threads
Reply To: Building a Sierra Computer
Your information: