Blizzard Entertainment: Fall Not Far?

HOME Forums Non-Sierra Games Blizzard Entertainment: Fall Not Far?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Blizzard Entertainment, which is considered one of the premier developers out there today. Like Sierra, it’s a Vivendi subsidiary, it used to be a Davidson & Associates subsidiary but Vivendi disolved that company to allow Blizzard more freedom sometime around 2000. Unlike, say, Sierra, which developed many games at one time, Blizzard is slow and right now is only developing one game (Plus they operate World of Warcraft online.) Something similar to Sierra’s fall recently happend to Blizzard. As you may recall in 1999, Sierra shutdown the Oakhurst studio, basically the studio which started everything off for Sierra, and it was the true home and heart of the company. Some of these sacked employees were offered relocation packages.                                    Well, just a few months ago, Blizzard shutdown Blizzard North (Formerly Condor, which was bought by Blizzard in 1996) which is where Diablo was developed and which basically launched Blizzard’s success, and offered it’s team to relocate to Blizzard’s home in Irvine, CA.
      Now, seeing as Blizzard doesn’t really develop that many games, and in the 15 years since it’s foundation has very few games, compared to say the amount of games Sierra had published by it’s 15th year. Really, the only thing that is keeping Blizzard (and Vivendi Games) along with it is World of Warcraft, and it’s the only reason why Blizzard didn’t suffer the blows that Sierra did back in ’04.
      My point being is that once the well runs dry in Warcraft, than it’s bye bye Blizzard.

• #27486 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I think you’re mistaken. Blizzard has so much more going for them than just (World of) Warcraft. Blizzard is developing games for the console market and has still one of the greatest worldwide multiplayer tournaments. Even Discovery covered the Starcraft championship. I think WoW will dominate the MMORPG market for the coming years. Blizzard is going to release the first expansion at the end of the year so most players are going to buy it. I know I will ๐Ÿ˜‰ Blizzard even said that in the future they might even update the graphics. Don’t know how they are going to do that but still… They Warcraft well is like an inexhaustible well.

It’s is true that Blizzard doesn’t develop a lot of games, but they don’t have to. Almost every games they develop is a real gem and sells millions. Just wait and see, if Blizzard announces a new game (Diablo 3), the world is going crazy! Look at Rockstar, they ‘only’ have one franchise and that is GTA. As long as people are interested in GTA, they are going to sell millions of GTA games.

Blizzard is here to stay…

• #27487 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Yeah……. I don’t think Blizzard is gonna go anywhere either. World of War Craft is huge! If they did a War Craft 4, Diablo 3 or Star Craft 2, you bet your bottom dollar that it would be as equally well recieved. I have been a fan of Blizzard since War Craft 2 came out. They may take for ever to come out with games, but they are always good quality. You get your monies worth. That being said, I haven’t tried WOW yet because I am not keen on pay by month online games.

• #27488 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I know what you mean. I wasn’t keen on paying a monthly fee either. But, I got to try the game as a betatester and I really got into it. I couldn’t stop playing. A couple of months after WoW was released I decided to buy the game because some of my friends were playing it. They started a guild for real life friends only and it is so cool to play with them ๐Ÿ˜› The monthly fee is just 13 euro’s and you really don’t miss that kind of money.

Try it! ๐Ÿ˜› You’ll love it!

• #27489 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Nothing is going to happen to Blizzard.  Every one of their games have been smash hits and they have improved upon every game and seem to create classics with each new game.  They’re probably the most well-received company today.  Probably the only company that can compare to them is Bungie.  It’s almost disgusting to think how much money they must be making from WoW.  I haven’t played it yet, but I’ve thought about it and I’m sure I’d enjoy it, but I just refuse to pay a monthly fee for any game.

• #27490 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I think Blizzard will be around for a long time, especially after I seen this news story…

Reports have debuted online regarding plans for World of WarCraft developer Blizzard to turn its other major game franchises into massively multiplayer online (MMO) games over the next few years, following the major success of World Of WarCraft.

The rumors appear to have emanated from MMO blog website F13.net, which claims that a recent presentation given by Blizzard owners Vivendi Games to select Wall Street investors indicated that โ€œallโ€ Blizzard franchises would be turned into MMOs over time. The assumption by fans has been that real-time strategy StarCraft and action role-playing game Diablo, neither of which have seen a full sequel in over six years, would be the likely first candidates for any such policy.

According to the F13.net story, the Vivendi presentation also discussed a new development model which allowed for new MMOs to be created within three years at a cost of $50 million. The publisher also allegedly plans on organizing games into one of two camp โ€“ those that can be played for short periods of time, and those which encourage longer play sessions. Korean developed title Freestyle Street Basketball, already signed by the new Sierra Online division, is used as an example of the former.

Although neither Vivendi nor Blizzard has commented on the rumors officially, if true they could have a significant effect on the MMO market – which is already dominated by World of WarCraft and its six million subscribers. The only circumstantial evidence for the rumors is Blizzardโ€™s now long running attempts to increase its employee levels, as evidenced by a number of job postings on Gamasutra itself.

Plus they have a movie in the works…

Warcraft coming to the big screen

Blizzard and Legendary Pictures, producers of Batman Begins and the upcoming Superman Returns, are teaming up to produce a live-action film based on Blizzard‘s Warcraft universe, with Legendary acquiring the movie rights to the Warcraft franchise.

According to Blizzard‘s CEO Paul Sams, ‘We never met anyone that really understood our franchise, that got what we do. With Legendary, we found a company that specializes in building a small number of big movies. It’s very similar to what we do. Blizzard only makes a small number of games; we focus on making big, meaningful games. It’s a very similar mentality.’

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803096/

• #27491 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

I don’t think the rumors of Blizzard turning their other franchises into mmorpgs are true and the reports and basing it on misinformation from a presentation by VU.  And Blizzard is denying that it’s true.  And I’d doubt it’s true just because Blizzard has no reason to saturate the market with more massive online games when it already has the market cornered and it would be smarter for them just to keep expanding Warcraft.

Viewing 6 reply threads
Reply To: Blizzard Entertainment: Fall Not Far?
Your information: