Better / Worse Adventures

HOME Forums Ken Williams Questions and answers / Thanks Forum Better / Worse Adventures

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Dear Ken,
      I have a quick question for you: playing Sierra games (and enjoying a lot) I always had the impression that Kings Quest games suffered a bit from their being always the first developed under the new systems… An example: KQIV in my views is still a very enyojable game, but left me with the feeling that it could have been more accurate in terms of plot… I mean, I am sure you spent a lot testing the new system and you had at the same time tight deadlines, which often brings to compromises…
      What do you think of this interpretation ?
      Ciao,
      Giovanni

• #24536 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: Better / Worse Adventures) Giovanni:
      You are right…
      Roberta always wanted to do something new with each Kings Quest game – so, she was always pioneering new user interfaces, or new graphics modes, or new a new engine, new sound drivers, etc. That’s one of the keys to the success of the Kings Quest series that most people haven’t picked up on. You can’t see it when you play the old games, because everything looks old by todays standards.
      Roberta would never consider shipping a game that wasn’t new in some way. That’s what drew her to the Phantasmagoria project. No one had done a live action game, nor done a game with such controversial subject matter. She loves breaking new ground.
      -Ken W

• #24537 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: Better / Worse Adventures)

Yes. I remember well reading something like her dream was to make Sierra adventures like movies (or TV) in which you are the main character.
      I also remember at the time to be surprised by the courage of Sierra for ex. to go for sound devices when old Roland / Adlib just started to be out. Bold move, but soon after we all could see it was the right vision: leaving aside the “after” company sale period, up to your times (and a bit later for finishing projects like Gabriel Knight) Sierra was a sound company, whereas many others failed.
      I still remember old AGI games as greatly fascinating though, maybe because they were the first and they were indeed a dramatic change vs any previous game: could you believe it, anumated graphic which could even walk in front or behind scenery ! Ingenious. I read AGI programming instructions and really it was ingenious.
      With thanks to you and to Roberta,
      Giovanni

Viewing 2 reply threads
Reply To: Better / Worse Adventures
Your information: