Activision Drops The Hammer

HOME Forums Sierra History Activision Drops The Hammer

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Ugh…I’m too incensed to even talk about it…Here’s the article I read over on Gamepolitics:

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2010/03/01/king’s-quest-based-project-incurs-wrath-activision

And they were so close to finishing it, too.  Well, I assume they were.  Like I said, I’m too incensed and upset over this to talk about it right now, so go read the article above.

Ugh…I’m too incensed to even talk about it…Here’s the article I read over on Gamepolitics:

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2010/03/01/king’s-quest-based-project-incurs-wrath-activision

And they were so close to finishing it, too.  Well, I assume they were.  Like I said, I’m too incensed and upset over this to talk about it right now, so go read the article above.

8 years, man…8 years down the toilet.

C_Guy,C_Guy
      Participant

A massive movement is underway to save the project.  Please take a moment to sign the petition here.  Join the Facebook page here, then go here to obtain a form letter that you can e-mail, snail mail, or fax to Activision (Better yet, do all three!).  Although the goal is to encourage Activision to reconsider their decision on TSL, this movement may also demonstrate just how strong and alive the Sierra Fan community is and that maybe, just maybe, there is a solid market for adventure games after all 🙂  Thank you to everyone for your support.

I’m sure the pleas will fall on deaf ears.  This is the company that sent a goon squad to Infinity Ward after a couple of top level employees started complaining.  Think Darth Vader saying “Perhaps you think you are being treated…unfairly?”  Judging by this, the TSL guys are lucky their kneecaps are still intact. 

http://www.destructoid.com/infinity-ward-invaded-by-activision-security-update–165521.phtml

So this is the state of gaming.  Makes me glad there’s a huge indie movement and a lot of self-publishing going on in the PC world right now.  All the big guys are giving us these days are tried and true formulaic shovelware that looks pretty, even as they punish legitimate PC buyers with draconian DRM.  The indie movement reminds me of the early days of PC gaming when you had small teams or one man shows cranking out some really good stuff.  Braid, Aquaria, Crayon Physics, and World of Goo are examples of games that I’ve enjoyed very much and were put together by one or two man teams.

Anyway, as far as TSL goes, the work is not necessarily lost.  They can just change all the names and characters with a wink wink, nudge nudge.  It sucks, but look at who you’re dealing with. 

Andy,Linnenkohl
      Participant

I think in some ways I am very reminded of the 1983 time frame in gaming.  The video game collapse of 1984 cleaned the industry of a lot of arrogant hacks who were just cashing in for money and much of the Indy scene of the time became the standard bearers of today.  EA and Activision were both splinters of larger game companies that were somewhat arrogant going into the crash and I think we are pretty close to seeing it again.

I like what you did – specifically calling out the Indy games you have enjoyed over the last few years.  One of the upcoming things we are working on for Sierra Gamers is a recommendations area to highlight games like these from small developers who are doing it right.  At some point we were going to ask for submissions of games our readers have enjoyed but you beat me to the punch.

Looks like I’ve got some homework to do 😉

Andy

Chris,
      Participant

Great! Direct2Drive and Steam are both running indie promotions right now.  Here are your first indie assignments:

Direct2Drive – 10 games for $30.  I can personally vouch for World of Goo, Braid, Aaaaa!, Machinarium, and Crayon Physics Deluxe.  Heck, just those games by themselves would be worth $30.

http://www.direct2drive.com/9236/product/Buy-Best-of-Indie-Bundle-Vol.-3-Download

Steam – 7 games for $10.  Haven’t played these yet, but for $10 how can you go wrong? 

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/3059

I forgot to mention Machinarium in my list of Indie games in my last post.  It was put together by a Czech studio, but is language independent.  Character backgrounds and plot elements are cleverly conveyed through the animated thought bubbles of the robots.  Puzzles are relatively intuitive, and the sound and artwork are top notch.  The game was a bit short IMHO but it’s definitely worth a play by anyone who considers themselves a Sierra fan.  The game engine is Adobe Flash.  Is there nothing it can’t do?

I’m not sure there will be a video game crash, per se.  Maybe a shakeup if enough people revolt, but I doubt that.  The big difference between now and the 80s is that a much, much wider demographic plays video games and there are many powerful platforms to release to.  Also consider that Sierra’s vision has come to pass – Much of their efforts were dedicated to pushing technology to the state where an interactive movie could be made and being able to bring it to a large audience that weren’t necessarily computer enthusiasts.  They single handedly pushed advances like sound, graphics, motion cap, and video cap into the gaming world.  And as tech has advanced, so have budgets.  Hundreds of millions of dollars can be poured into a game development project and a successful franchise can easily get to the billion dollar mark.  With that said, if you’re going to spend that kind of money, it has to be a sure thing.  Cranking out formulaic twitchfests like Battlefield or COD doesn’t hurt EA or Activision any more than Larry the Cable Guy or Will Ferrell hurts Paramount or Sony.  People show up in droves to watch such brain-melting fare and push that dreck to #1 to make a lot of people a lot of money.  What’s the obvious follow-up? Rinse and repeat.  Games have become more like movies in more ways than anyone could have imagined.  Be careful what you wish for, eh?

And yes, I like indie movies, too.

-Chris

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.