A few suggestions

HOME Forums SierraGamers Website A few suggestions

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Hi,
      I tried posting this under Sytem -> Suggestions, but there is no post option there. So, my first suggestion is to add a post option there.
      Second, I would like to see a proper message (thread?) tree on the side when I am reading the messages. That way, it is easier to see who replied to what message.
      Third, I would like to have the option to arrange the message stream on the screen by various parameters (date ascneding or descending, by thread, etc.)
      The message times are not in my local time. I suggest that you either write the times in GMT, or write them relative to the user’s local time (if that can be done!)
      Thanks

• #21487 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(Re: A few suggestions) I tried posting this under Sytem -> Suggestions, but there is no post option there. So, my first suggestion is to add a post option there.
      Fixed!
      Second, I would like to see a proper message (thread?) tree on the side when I am reading the messages. That way, it is easier to see who replied to what message.
      I agree – there’s something I need to do in this area. I may go to a thread-tree, but want to explore some other options first. I’ve got some higher priority things I want to get in (and, some performance improvements to make – so, expect this to take some time (weeks)
      Third, I would like to have the option to arrange the message stream on the screen by various parameters (date ascneding or descending, by thread, etc.)
      Yup – it’s on the list. I’ll get this in fairly quickly.
      The message times are not in my local time. I suggest that you either write the times in GMT, or write them relative to the user’s local time (if that can be done!)
      I’m not sure what to do on this. I did a system once where I stored everything on the server in one time zone, but displayed it for each user in their own time zone. I might do this again …. I’ll give it thought.
      -Ken W

• #21488 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: Re: A few suggestions) I have some suggestions….you know how the original message is contained within a box? Why not make every post have their own little box seperators…or maybe even a line to seperate them. It would make reading them easier.

btw- Very nice job on the layout! 😀

• #21489 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: Re: A few suggestions) There is a line seperating the messages – at least on my screen .. isn’t it appearing on yours?
      -Ken W
      PS You haven’t seen anything yet! I have a LOT of ideas for this site over the next year…

• #21490 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: re: Re: A few suggestions)

Sorry Ken…..I must have been high or something…I just noticed the line! (man do I feel stupid…) I actually thought on that all that info below was a couple of posts and not one. I see it now….just go back to development and ignore me… 🙂

• #21491 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: re: re: Re: A few suggestions)

Better?

• #21492 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: re: re: re: Re: A few suggestions)

Aye…that it is. If I can’t see it now then I would be blind!

• #21493 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: A few suggestions)

Ugh…. I’m sorry to say I don’t like the new design much at all… OK, I do like some of it, but not all of it. The line between messages is too big and clunky first of all, and in fact the whole messages layout is now very hard to read. It just needs some design tweaks to not give me a headache… which I’m sure you’ll accomplish, since I imagine you first just wanted to make it work.

And another thing – the fade-in menus… they’re too slow. I hate slow scrollbars for news, for example, on websites. Same thing here. When I want to navigate, I want to do so quickly. I guess it takes 1/2 second to be gray, and 1/2 second to become black – 1 second in total. What it should be instead is a true fade-in (not just two frames), and it should happen a lot quicker.

As always that’s just my humble 2 cents.

• #21494 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: A few suggestions) OK – I made them slightly less thick (the lines separating messages) – do you like them better now?
      Brandon: What don’t you like about the new layout? I’m definitely open to improving things. That said, I disagree with you on the fade effect on the menus – it is slower, but I like the look.
      There are some elements to the navigation that aren’t in yet. I had another 20 or so features that I wanted into this release, but I decided it was better to put this code live now, and start working on the other features, rather than to hold it until I had everything done.
      I’ve got one major feature upgrade that I hoped to get into this version, that I should have done within a couple of weeks. I’d say what it is – but, would rather not – for now.
      -Ken W

• #21495 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

LOL sorry Ken I can sometimes list off a whole bunch of things or sometimes as you found say I don’t like it, but then don’t give a whole bunch of things… it’s hard to know what to say, I can be overly critical and not enough constructive, don’t want to offend. I tend to pick up on all the little details and that can be interpreted as nit-picking but I’m a perfectionist.

Here’s just one small one then, make a line break between the box containing the first message and the first reply.

Here’s another one, add an extra line break *before* the lines that separate each message. This will just help to see the messages easier.

The lines between messages are looking better now, but they could still be just a bit thinner… either by 1/2 or 3/4 of their current height.

• #21496 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

(re: re: A few suggestions) Slow menus, really? They seem fine to me….
      I think your message board has your style to it and it’s nice. I’m a little too used to the vBulletin style though..maybe that’s just my opinion.

• #21497 Reply
      Unknown,Unknown
      Participant

Ken,

Nice upgrade. I like it very much! My Cable modem service has been down for about 5 days now, and what a suprise when I checked in today!

Keep up the good work, and, as always,

Thanks,
      King Rygar

Viewing 11 reply threads
Reply To: A few suggestions
Your information: