Reply To: Open Discussion

HOME Forums Open Discussion Open Discussion Reply To: Open Discussion

Unknown,Unknown
Participant

(Re: King’s Quest Online)

David,

While I admire what you are trying to do, it just doesn’t make sense to do it in the King’s Quest universe. I have had difficulty in coming up with an idea about how to make the game story-oriented and not a gorefest in such a way that the player doesn’t play for 4 hours, finishes all the story elements and then gets bored. Teaming up with other players, a big draw for most MMORGs, wouldn’t make sense in a non-violent KQO since that would take away the reason to team up leaving only “sharing the story”.

If you want an awesome story, and you want lots of people to share in it, then doing it the way it has been done before, i.e. in single player format, is the best way to achieve this. That’s exactly what we’ve all experienced with KQ so far, right? None of the games were multiplayer but we still reminisce and relate to each other’s experiences in a meaningful, fun way. I LOVE KQ6, it is my all time favourite Sierra adventure and I would love to play something similar, I love talking about it with the people I grew up
with who were as into Sierra games as I was. Nostalgia rocks!

That aside, I don’t think your efforts have been in vain. You are a brave man to propose what you’ve proposed, however the KQ universe just isn’t the most fertile soil for a persistent, online version without corrupting what made the KQ series such a success in the first place. Not only that, but I realised what made playing the old games so special was that it was always a King’s Quest, not Joe Soap Quest… playing as royalty added something that an MMORPG just can’t offer, because it’s just not feasible to have 200,000 Princes, Princesses, Kings and Queens running around. Being just like everyone else just ain’t that special.

If you are keen to dust off the story you wrote however many years back, I think you’d do well to present it to people like the Anonymous Game Developers (who I secretly suspect are ex-Sierra employees doing what they love to do because they can) and see if you can make it into something that way. They’ve obviously got the talent, passion, time and the resources to
make your story come to life, so why not give them a try?

And that is my two cents worth. I am honestly not trying to criticise you into the ground, just letting you know how I feel about an online KQ game. You’ve obviously got the passion for the genre, and I wish you all the best with it. If a single player game comes of it all, I will be first in line to buy it.

Regards,

Deon du Plessis