HOME › Forums › Ken Williams Questions and answers / Thanks Forum › Sierra History Questions….. › Reply To: Sierra History Questions…..
I had some time to kill while backing up my computer… here’s the answers:
1) When did you last work as the CEO of Sierra? I’ve heard conflicting reports that you resigned as CEO in July 1996 immediately after the sale to CUC; however, from downloading Andy’s scans of the InterAction mags, you still had your President’s Corner section as late as the Summer ’97 issue.
*** It depends on how you look at it. I left the company in Nov 1997, however I really stopped running Sierra much earlier. The company was officially acquired in June 1996, and I started immediately working on an online shopping project. Cendant acquired Sierra and Davidson simultaneously, and made the decision to put Bob Davidson in charge of all of software. Bob is a good guy, but I really didn’t want to work for him, so I deliberately wanted out of running Sierra.
2) I’ve also read you worked as a ‘Senior Advisor’ at Sierra after the sale and for about a year or two afterward. Were you still there when Greno was brought in as CEO in June ’98? What kind of role did you play after resigning as CEO/Pres?
*** Answered above. I thought I was going to at least stay involved at the product level, but it just wasn’t working. I think I only attended one product meeting after the deal was done. I did meet Greno a few times socially, but I was long gone when he was hired.
3) What were some of the last products you worked on at Sierra, if you remember? If you don’t remember, no need to answer this one.
*** Half-life, KQ8, and MANY more. We always had about 50 products going at a time. That said… on any given product the team did 99% of the work.
4) Who took your place as the CEO or President?
*** At the time of the acquisition I was the CEO and Mike Brochu was the President. After the acquisition Mike reported directly to Bob Davidson, and I reported to the CEO of Cendant.
5) How long did you work for CUC as Vice Chairman and a member of the Office of the President? http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1996_Sept_13/ai_186741745
*** From June 1996 to Nov 1997
6) What were the roles of Mike Brochu, Scott Lynch, Randy Dersham and Bill Moore at Sierra prior to and after the acquisition by CUC?
*** Mike – President
*** Scott Lynch – Product manager on Half-Life, and I think he was promoted right at the end to running all of the Seattle-based development.
*** Randy Dersham – He was the studio head for Dynamix (In Oregon)
*** Bill Moore – VP Marketing
and a non Sierra question:
1) A few years back, I remember reading that Roberta was working on a book, sort of an Irish ”Roots” sort of book. Is that still going on?
*** She’s working VERY hard. It is the story of the irish immigration. Think Roots, for the Irish. She has a team of researchers and has been on it for years, full times, with years more effort to go!