Reply To: Sierra Classics : Abandonware?

HOME Forums Ken Williams Questions and answers / Thanks Forum Sierra Classics : Abandonware? Reply To: Sierra Classics : Abandonware?

Unknown,Unknown
Participant

(re: Sierra Classics) I don’t agree with openly giving out links. The games are still supported and should not be distributed. If you happen to find them then go ahead…but I won’t be the one to tell you.
Ken, do you mind if I use your opinion on another forum? I have many people there who would love to know how the sierra man himself feels about such a controversial topic. I know it doesn’t seem to important…..but to us we just need to know what the greats behind classics think. I may even ask Al Lowe what he thinks too.

Feel free to repost my comments elsewhere (including a link back to this site would be nice..).

Whereas I would not post old Sierra games on this site, I am not opposed to including links to other sites here. I mentioned to one of Sierra’s senior haunchos a couple of years ago that I had found a site from which to download all the old Apple games, and his only comment was to say “cool”. My guess would be that Sierra will never officially bless the downloads, but neither are they likely to spend a lot of money chasing people who download games that can’t be found in any other way.

That said, I feel very differently about people downloading a “really old” game like Kings Quest II than I do people downloading HalfLife. If a product can be found at retail, then any attempt to download it is piracy, and unacceptable behaviour. I see a distinction between preserving history and piracy.

-Ken W