(re: re: re: Running older games on Windows XP)
I am the one that managed to get KQ6 to run on XP.
You’ll need to have VDMSound and the VDMS Launchpad installed on your system to do it, but you will need it to play the older KQ games with audio, anyway.
1) Go to http://ntvdm.cjb.net/ , download VDMSound and the VDMS Launchpad and install both.
2) Go to the KQ6 shortcut in your stary menu and right click on it and choose “Properties”. Copy what is in the “Target:” box and paste it in Notepad. Save it in the games folder as KQ6.bat.
3) Copy the file “RESOURCE.AUD” from the CD to the installed game folder on your hard drive.
4) Open your game’s installed folder on your hard drive and delete the file “HDLOGO.AVI” and open the file “SIERRA.INI” (it may be in a sub-folder named “WIN”) in Notepad. Look for the lines:
(Note, yours may be different, depending on what letter drive your CD-ROM is.) Chang this to:
5) Right click on the file in the installed folder, “SCIWV.EXE” and go to the Compatibility tab and choose Compatibility mode for Win 98 or Win 95, 256 colors. do the same for the file you made earlier, “KQ6.bat”
6) Now all you have to do is right click on the .bat file you made and choose “♫ Run with VDMS” (the one with the musical notes) and the game should run.
(Note that the audpath=. and audio=. should be =.backslash, but the backslash is not displaying)